A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » Goldbox & corrupt memo blob file
Goldbox & corrupt memo blob file
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:38 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

Hello all

For the last 3 months I've had a corrupt memo blob file error message. I ran the DBTcheck file many times to try to sort it out but it bever worked. A techy friend of mine who knows GM well (he used to be a GM tech) then ran the DBTcheck for me using different options ( I didn't watch what he did) and it finally worked. I no longer had the error message. However, I later discovered I also no longer had the last six months' worth of emails - headers there, no bodies.

So, I'm stuck and worried because, as ever, I have no funds for proper professional help, which I feel on this occasion I am going to need, big time and wondering what I can do.

Could anyone please help with these queries?

(a) Is there anything I can do with GoldBox to sort this out?

(b) I ran a Goldbox feature called "Contact File Verifier" and that produced a report which stated Contact1 & 2 should have zero values, but my report showed 2 corrupt in each table plus 1326 'unlinked' in Contact2, whatever that means. I ran Goldbox to find the records with those RecIds, but all 4 RecId numbers seemed to refer to only one record. I ended up deleting the record, but it made no difference.

(c) Frontrange says to do maintenance, do pack & rebuild and also select "verify the data & synchronisation information". I do this, but each time it tells me it can't open the ContTlog table. It says the table may be opened by other goldmine users or opened exclusively by another app. However, I don't have Goldbox open when this happens and I only have a single user license in GoldMine, so there is no way another Conttlog table is open. This is a new error I've not seen before - has anyone seen this before?

(d) After running the Verify Contact File utility, and then sorting Goldmine by the account no, I was struck by the fact that I'm using to see the account number field start with the year, but there are hundreds of records now starting with the character A or B. Never seen that before and wondered what it means.

(e) Instead of using Carl's fixed working version with the missing emails, I returned to my backup complete with emails and have continued working on that since. Now I'm also wondering if I go back to Carl's version of the database, if there's a way, using GoldBox, I can re-link the email bodies to the email headings.

(f) By the way, I also have a ginormous emailbox file, 1.5 gig. That's because I haven't archived anything and have been sending out mailshorts for my arts centre for years. I need to do something about this, but haven't yet learned how to use the Goldbox archieve feature. And worried about not being able to read them if I needed to once having done it. But is that maybe a reason why my GoldMine has bust?

Any answers on the above would be hugely appreciated - if indeed those are the right questions,which they may well not be!

GM 6.70 build 70226
Godlbox 5 Professional
XP
loads of space on hard drive

PS
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:22 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

I forgot to say that the memo blog message only displays for some of my log-ins. i.e. as a single-user, I go under various identities for specific projects so as to maintain separate email inboxes.

I use about 20 log-ins. I get the problem on only about half of the log-ins.

Anyone got any idea what I could do here? Would be very grateful..

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:53 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Hi, Clare! By the numbers (er, letters):

(a) Most of it, yes.

(b) The Contact File Verifier is a useful tool, but for C1 and C2, it doesn't really relate to the problem you are having. Let's focus on your problem; we can discuss the CFV another time.

(c) Again, you are getting a bit far afield. You will need to rebuild the Contsupp, Conthist and Mailbox tables to deal with the immediate issues; the rest can be dealt with later.

(d) The nature of the Accountno has nothing to do with the rebuild; starting in the year 2000, GoldMine's Accountnos were built using the first character to represent the decade of this century (so far, A or B); the second character is the year within that decade; and so on. You just hadn't noticed it before.

(e) It is possible (as we discussed) to reattach E-mails from a backup Mailbox table to GoldMine; and then, assuming the original History record is still in GoldMine, to archive them, if appropriate. But that's tricky, and the way to do it is to first archive whatever you can from your "good" GoldMine; then add back into that good copy whatever you can salvage from your backup copy ot Mailbox. Then, archive again.* However, if you have already removed any History records from your "good" GoldMine via archiving or any other way, the whole thing may get so complicated that it's not practical to do it. So, let me know back about that.

(f) It would have been much better if you had contacted me as soon as you ran into your first Mailbox problem, because the solution would have been simpler. The use of .dbt Check may (or may not) have irrevocably destroyed a lot of E-mail; I have no way to know. 1.5 GB is not in the problem area, but I suspect Mailbox was considerably larger when the .dbt check was done.

(x) Frankly, I don't know why you are getting the error message on some logins, but not others. Maybe not trying to open an E-mail?

*It may actually be possible to skip the step of putting the into GoldMine; ie. to put them directly into the archive from the backup mailbox. But I don't want to discuss that at this point.

AND...You mentioned something about my NOTE on the archive page. If you mean "NOTE: For years, it was believed that, by using an option in GoldBox's Global Replace of History...", then the reference to GoldBox is correct. Take a look at the Global Replace of History in Goldbox....It is those options that are not meaningful, after all.

Last edited by BobTaylor on Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:40 am; edited 1 time in total

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

way forward
PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:25 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

Many thanks Bob for your very comprehensive overview, as always. Yes, should have got onto this immediately it happened. Why didn't I? Because I'm always busy, anything that stops me getting on sends me into a kind of frenzy. Because the memo blog message didn't stop me opening GM in any of my logins (after 2 or 3 attempts) and continue working, I was mildly disconcerted by the repeating error message and the effort of logging in, but not enough to down tools and sort it out. Mea culpa. Will know next time...

I will follow your advice, which I understand. I'll archive old emails from the 'good', then get in touch with you so you can set me up the automated thingy and see if we can reclaim the missing emails from the 'bad' and restore them into the good. Dear oh dear. What a palarvah.

Cheers Bob. Will get back to you soon as I can.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:38 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Always good to hear from youj!

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

Goldbox & corrupt memo blob file
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox