A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » How do RoundRobin() and RotaryTable() work?
How do RoundRobin() and RotaryTable() work?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:50 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bernardgbailey
Experienced Miner

Hi team,
I have a requirement to create 10 calls per day (Cal records) each for a group of Users from some curtained records in the database.

I propose to

1. Export the list of users which are currently active (any help here with UserGroups gratefully accepted).
2. Export (10 x the number of current users) records from CONTACT1/2 as MAKECAL.dbf, marking CONTACT2 as exported in a UD field as well as writing a history line for CONTHIST.
3. Run an import to CAL off the MAKECAL.dbf, using the RoundRobin() or RotaryTable() functions to limit the records scheduled for each user to 10 records.
4. After this is working properly I will create a count of the pending records for each user; if it is more than 3 days (30 in total), then no more records will get scheduled for the user until the load comes under 30 records.

Which of these options will work best?

All assistance is appreciated
Cheers
Bernard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:21 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Bernard, I've been away for a few days, just saw this post. I must admit that I've never used RotaryTable(), and I'd like to take some time to familiarize myself with it. How are you doing so far, and what is your time frame? I have some catching up to do, but would like to take a look at this.

Also, how do you plan to manage the time of day of the appointments?

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:55 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

You know, GoldMine, itself, does handle round-robin scheduling without much trouble. I admit that I don't fully undertstand what you're looking to do here, but I wanted to make sure you're aware of GoldMine's ability to do round-robin scheduling.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:37 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bernardgbailey
Experienced Miner

Doug and Bob,

Thank you for responding to this. I've used GoldBox for many years and like you, I've not had a requirement to use the RoundRobin() or RotaryTable() feature before, and I'm not sure TICOMIX can help at this point without training/finding out also.

I require this function to allocate 10 new leads per day from the curtained "virgin leads" in GoldMine to each "Active" GoldMine Sales rep.

In this way the reps will get up to 50 new leads a week and have time to handle all their existing business and not just burn up the whole list as fast as they can go.

The best part however is it will be completely automated (I wish!!) to run each night, creating the 10 new cal records attached to the lead, with the ownership and curtaining in place.

BTW this is GoldMine 9.01 and GoldBox7.

I have been able to get a work around with SQL (just this morning) to extract the active users and the number of new leads required. From there GoldBox can take over and import/create the cal records and then reset the owner/curtaining.

If you could look at this Bob, we can then add it into a collective GoldBox knowledgebase?

I didn't go through the GoldMine AP's, although I believe it could do the job?

Many thanks for pitching in.
Cheers
Bernard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:54 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

I came back blessed with new work, but if you can let me work on it over the weekend, I'll tell you what I find.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:02 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bernardgbailey
Experienced Miner

Easter is a long weekend Bob, pace yourself.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 10:55 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Bernard, looking at what you say you have already gotten from SQL, it's beginning to sound like you already have a Source file (or maybe just part of it) for an Import. What you'd need is a dBase file of Usernames, each repeated the appropriate number of times, and with a date for each repetition. How close are you to having that; and is what you have something you can automate?

Sunday - Now that I've looked at RotaryTable(), I can see it working differently than what I was thinking about above. Having a real Source file would still be a good way to go; using RotaryTable() would involve creating a Q-file for each User and reusing a single Source record the appropriate number of times. So, I don't see a way to automate the determination of which Users need new Calls, not without a dedicated Q-file for each User.

Again, I'm just not sure about what it is you have already devised. If you can create a true Source table for all the activities--especially if you can do it from a single query--then I think that would be the way to go. But if you can't see a clear path to where you need to go, and you are willing to do a fairly massive amount of setup to get it done with RotaryTable(), then let me know and I'll spell out what's involved.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bernardgbailey
Experienced Miner

Hi Bob.

I have been able to get this far:

1. Export the list of users which are currently active (any help here with UserGroups gratefully accepted).

Did not need to export here, see 2. below.

2. Export (10 x the number of current users) records from CONTACT1/2 as MAKECAL.dbf, marking CONTACT2 as exported in a UD field as well as writing a history line for CONTHIST.

I was able to extract 10 * the number of "Active" group users, from Contact1/2 into MAKECAL.dbf, allocating 10 records per active user, using an sql script.
This script will be called from a task scheduler.

3. Run an import to CAL off the MAKECAL.dbf, using the RoundRobin() or RotaryTable() functions to limit the records scheduled for each user to 10 records.

I will be able to create the CAL records from MAKECAL using GoldBox since the users have all been allocated in MAKECAL. After the CAL creation I will change the owner and curtain to partial.

4. After this is working properly I will create a count of the pending records for each user; if it is more than 3 days (30 in total), then no more records will get scheduled for the user until the load comes under 30 records.

Create MAKECAL. Count the current pending cal records for each active user created by MAKECAL (use ACTVCODE) in the CAL table and then delete the number where greater than 30 in CAL from MAKECAL. Process as before.

The key was getting the USERS into the MAKECAL table.

Many thanks for your explanation on RoundRobin() and RotaryTable(). It would be good if we could get the GoldBoxGodFather to confirm if the functions could achieve what I needed to do.

Cheers
Bernard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:17 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Bernard, still having difficulty isolating questions in your post, but as for User Groups, they are encrypted (the User Groups to which each User belongs is encrypted in the Usecurity field of the Users table). GoldBox doesn't use the API, so has no programmatic way to deal with them.

However, if you are willing to keep up the paperwork, you can find the actual Owner name corresponding to each User Group by making a Contact record for each User Group; then selecting the appropriate User Group as Owner. If you then query out the Owner of each record (or add the field as an expression to a View), you'll see the 8-character (may include spaces) "username" for that User Group. For all practical purposes, that's what you'd use. This vaue will begin with one or more numerals, and then begin to spell out the name of the User Group in lower case until the 8 available characters have been used up..

Now, if you'll ask me more direct questions, I'll be happy to try to help,

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:58 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bernardgbailey
Experienced Miner

Hi Bob,
I checked the USERS table and the USERGROUP field appears to have no value included and there is no user functioning way to get the data in that field?

I updated the field with "ACTIVE" with SQL and then was able to show which USERS were active for the active count query.

The only question I have is USERGROUP an unused field?

Cheers
Bernard

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:47 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

It's USECURITY, not USERGROUP

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:19 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bernardgbailey
Experienced Miner

Bob, I created a specific group called Active Users and nothing appeared in the USERGROUP field.

I'll create an external table for active users which will be the safest way. And then update it as required with GoldBox.

Cheers
Bernard1

BTW I was rioght about Ticomix, still no response in 7 days to my original request.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:45 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

I don't know about the USERGROUP field. But if you'll go back and carefully read my original post on the subject, you'll find that it is accurate. You cannot find the membership of a User Group; nor the User Groups to which a User belongs; via GoldBox. Only through the GoldMine interface.

www.goldboxbob.com

How do RoundRobin() and RotaryTable() work?
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox