A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6 » Anybody running Windows 8 with GM 6.7.70226
Anybody running Windows 8 with GM 6.7.70226
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 6:24 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
JimGunther
GoldMine Journeyman

I tried to run my ancient Goldmine 6.7 in the virtual window provided by Window 7 Pro but found it confusing and unreliable. My workaround was to buy a refurbished Dell XP desktop and things have bee fine for another couple years.
Seeing some PR stuff about Windows 8 leads me to believe (the affect of PR puffery, no doubt) there are provisions to run legacy XP programs built in to W-8.

Anyone doing it? If so, does it require a clunky "virtual machine" set up (ala Win 7 Pro))?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 5:03 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

You can run GoldMine 6.70.70226 in Windows 7 or 8. Don't waste your time with Windows XP emulation as you are still based on a Windows 7 or 8 system unless you are using something like VMware with is true emulation.

If you choose to do this, however, you will have to run GoldMine as a crippled application. The Contacts, Calendar, and E-mail Client should still work, but that it. If you get anything else to work say Hurrah, but don't expect anything else to work.

Alternatively, you could upgrade to GoldMine Premium which was developed for all of the latest software compatibility.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:16 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
JimGunther
GoldMine Journeyman

DJ wrote:
If you choose to do this, however, you will have to run GoldMine as a crippled application. The Contacts, Calendar, and E-mail Client should still work, but that it. If you get anything else to work say Hurrah, but don't expect anything else to work..

Fact is, those are the only features I use.

To be clear, you're suggesting (No guarantees I understand) I could install GM in Windows 7 without that Virtual Machine junk? I had altogether too many (apparent) crahes and hang-ups in that environmemt)

Could I do the same for Goldbox? (Though I could always do any Goldbox procedures on the XP machine.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:18 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

I know nothing about GoldBox.

But I can run GoldMine 6.70.70226 in Windows 8 Pro, and I did just now to retest it. True that I only have the basics, but if that is all that you need then good.

I'm still going to suggest that you upgrade to GoldMine Premium 9.2.1.x

www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:14 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

I agree with DJ's recommendation to upgrade to GMPE. While the basic features of GM 6.7 will usually work on Win7 and Win 8 systems, but not all features including dBase maintenance. You probably cannot "install" it but you could copy a full working copy to it. I have personally run GM 6.7 in the Virtual PC XP Mode on both W7 and W8 and I have also used BR7 and GoldBox in that environment.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:38 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

I'm pretty sure that Maintenance can still be performed against a dBase GoldMine and Windows 7 & 8. At least up until you mentioned it, I have been able to do it for my clients.

www.DJHunt.US

Anybody running Windows 8 with GM 6.7.70226
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6