A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6 » Windows 2012 and Goldmine 6.7 SQL Goto page 1, 2  Next
Windows 2012 and Goldmine 6.7 SQL
PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 8:02 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
king123
Cuckoo for GoldMine Puffs

We are upgrading out infrastructure and would like to host Goldmine on 2012 server instead of current 2003. We are not looking to upgrade Goldmine at this point.

We only need to host goldmine on 2012, so users from windows 7 pcs can open it, anyone had luck installing GM6.7 on windows 2012? Any idea of any work around? as of right now we can not complete the installation.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:06 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

No need to install it. It's just a file share. As such, just copy it to the new server, make sure to share it the same way it's shared on the old server, update mapped drives from the clients and update the gm.ini to point to the new location.

Of course, stored paths for reports, merge forms, linked documents, e-mail attachments, etc. may still point at the old location by machine name. In those cases, you'll need to deal with that at the database level. If you have GoldBox or DBX, LinkedDocMover or on of the other many available tools for the purpose, it's a pretty straight-forward procedure. If not, and you're on an SQL database, I have an SQL script for the purpose...

Also, if you're on an SQL database, your move will be a little more complex...

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:10 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
king123

I figured dbase would be as easy as you explained, but they have the SQL version, any suggestions or pointers?
Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:15 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

too many to really list here... In short, though, it's the same. You just have to make sure the BDE is properly configured.

While it's possible to get BDE and GM6 running on that server, it's difficult, to say the least. You can, however, manage all the configuration and settings from a workstation pointing at the share and simply resign yourself to never actually running GoldMine directly on the server. If you take that approach, the biggest problem to tackle will be the document paths thing -- and the free linkeddocmover.exe ought to that care of it.. mostly...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:14 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
king123

Doug - Thanks, I'll try it and let you know

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:58 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
king123

We setup the server, MSSQL2008, we can connect to the database via Studio, firewall is disabled, SQL Client Tools are installed(triple checked), I was able to create ODBC data source test connection to the MSSQL server:

The issue is the that i can't configure BDE, it's just not connecting to the database, i get the error regardless. we are using the BDE Admin the one that is stored in Goldmine directory(should we use update one? or something else?)

Here are errors that i get when trying to connect. I get it regardless if i enter the password or not. I googled it and it says that SQL Client tools are missing, but again i tripple checked what i could and everything seems to be in order.

Here's my BDE setup:

Any ideas guys? is there any way to test the bde is working? actual software? or make sure sql client tools are functioning?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:00 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

http://www.castellcomputers.com/files/ntwdblib.dll

download that to windows\system32

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:27 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
king123

Thanks!!! That worked, I can now connect the database via BDE. I should have tried copying the file..

It's been a while since I had to setup goldmine, I'm at the point where i need to specify the database, I can't recall what to i enter/how do i navigate to the database i want to attach?

Again, thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:34 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

A couple of suggestions. With your SQL Server database, access the database with your Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio and make sure that the database's Compatibility Level is set for "SQL Server 2000 (80)".

Also if you ever find that you have database corruption problems, one good solution is to move it back to its original compatible environment, host the data back to the old Dbase, perform full maintenance with GM and if you have it GoldBox, then re-host back to SQL.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:55 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Depending on the database size, you may want to reconsider and re-host the files to dBase which you should be able to move more easily to the 2012 server. Then you can work on getting the SQL connectivity on the 2012 server, and re-host the dBase files back into SQL.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:56 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
king123

That's what we are having issues, I'm not personally working on this, but one of our tech is having issues getting SQL database there.

Any of you by chance have a blank/demo data SQL database backup of 6.7 ? Would be super helpful.

Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:26 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

What specific issues is the tech having getting SQL database there. I just went through moving a very large GM6.7 database (246,000 contacts and over 4,000,000 records in some tables) from dBase to GMCE 6.7 SQL in the process of hosting to GMPE. I ran into several SQL Problems and finally solved them. Once I understand the specifics of tech's issues, I may be able to help.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:28 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

agreed.. we need more specifics here. If you simply don't know how to point BDE at an SQL database or how GoldMine, BDE and SQL interact, we're not going to be able to help much as outlining all that would be a bit outside the scope of a message reply on a forum...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:32 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Can you not rehost your 6.70 SQL database back to dBase files?

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:34 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
king123

The purpose of this was just to confirm that it works, we finally just created a blank SQL 6.7 database and mounted onto the server.

So 2012 Windows and Goldmine 6.7 does work, but needs some work.

thanks for all the help!

Windows 2012 and Goldmine 6.7 SQL
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6