A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6 » Exporting Goldmine 6.7 (dBase) "History" tab
Exporting Goldmine 6.7 (dBase) "History" tab
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 9:57 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
andyb
n00b

Hi there,

I've been viewing these forums for quite a few years now - I've never had to make a post because usually I've been able to find all the answers to all of my questions. So, thanks for creating such an excellent resource Doug!

Anyway, after many years we're looking to give Goldmine 6.7 the boot and replace it with something else (haven't gotten that far yet).

At the moment I'm in a process of exporting data in chunks of data from each user as there is a lot of useless data that we don't want to move across.

In our line of work we depend heavily on the "History" tab for making notes on candidates and also our clients so for us this is just as vital as keeping the contact information. We also use the "Linked Documents" quite a lot.

I have found that within Goldmine the only way to export the contact information + the History and Linked Documents tabs is to export it in the XML format with the XSD schema file attached.

The exported XML file seems to be fine from the offset. However I tried to open it open it up in Excel and it just seems to turn everything into one massive mess with no structure!

I've also tried to use the Schema in the XSD to map the columns in Excel and then import the XML into these columns but this doesn't appear to work at all.

What I want to do is basically be able to have a visual in excel as this will make it easier to convert into whatever format our future database will require.

I can see that there might be a problem with the history tab considering that each logged call or note taken down is a separate string in the XML file. So I'd also be keen on establishing whether it was possible to merge these into a lump file during the export or even at all?

Does anybody have any experience in exporting data in this way, or any recommendations for us? As I said the History tab is so important to us and we really do need to keep it the data that's in there!

Sorry for the wall of text!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Kind Regards

Andy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:55 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Your simplest course of action would be to upgrade to the latest version of GoldMine (GoldMine 2014.2, at the moment.) The data would upgrade, in-place, and the interface would be an evolution of the one you use today.

Alternately, yes, you'll have a complicated data conversion project ahead of you. How complicated it is would depend heavily on what product you decide to migrate to.

If you have decided that you're dead-set against a GoldMine upgrade, I'd suggest you decide on what product you are moving to before you begin to tackle the data migration details -- who knows, the product you go with may have a utility for importing GoldMine data.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:27 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
andyb
n00b

Thanks for the reply!

I had a feeling that would probably be the case. I don't know if we can justify spending that much on Goldmine 2014 though...

We're still a long way off determining which CRM we want to use - our three primary factors are:

1) Easily import our data from Goldmine
2) LinkedIn Integration
3) No per user per month fee - we'd like to avoid using cloud and keep it hosted locally.

Although it seems these days you can't have one of these without the other. I'll have to weigh up which one is the most important to us I guess!

Do you know if it is at all possible to export a merged file containing all content from the history tab?

Even if it's just one record at a time so if necessary I can just do it as I go along after exporting the contact info.

Kind Regards

Andy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:37 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

andyb wrote:
our three primary factors are:

1) Easily import our data from Goldmine
2) LinkedIn Integration
3) No per user per month fee - we'd like to avoid using cloud and keep it hosted locally.

Although it seems these days you can't have one of these without the other. I'll have to weigh up which one is the most important to us I guess!

Well, GoldMine 2014 ticks all those boxes. Wink

Quote:
Do you know if it is at all possible to export a merged file containing all content from the history tab?

Not really. You're not ever going to get a 'flat file' to contain relational data like that. What I mean by relational is that one contact could have 5000 history items associated with it (or NONE.) th same goes for detail records (like e-mail address, web site, etc.) and pending activities (to say nothing of e-mail, which is not only related to the contact but also to a pending or history record as well.

A data conversion project like you're describing is a bit more complicated than, say, an export of contact names and e-mail addresses from Gmail to iCloud or something. To move from one CRM to another is going to require more than a single file type of export (unless you're okay with just pulling the name/address/phone number info and leaving the rest behind.)

How much do you think GoldMine costs? I've been selling/servicing it for nearly 20 years and I think it's competitively priced. In other words, I can't imagine you're going to find anything that's really much cheaper (and won't involve an extensive/costly data conversion project.)

If you want to take the discussion off-line and get some concrete details, feel free to give me a call at my office number, below.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:15 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

It might be possible to create a Report in GoldMine that would give you all of the information that you need in say a PDF form. You might then be able to use OCR to convert that into text.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Exporting Goldmine 6.7 (dBase) "History" tab
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6