ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » Transfer email folders to another user
Transfer email folders to another user
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:35 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
kiwi
n00b

Goldmine 7.00.70302
SQL 2000
Goldbox 7 2008-R

A user has created several inboxes which each have many emails collected over time (from tradeshows). They now wish to delegate the task of creating contact records, linking and following up to another Goldmine user.
They have asked if there is a quick way to shift these inboxes to the other user.
Apart from re-directing each email individually in Goldmine is there a quicker way (in Goldmine or Goldbox) to achieve this?

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:14 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

It appears to me that you have two types of Mailbox table records that you will need to alter: 1) the folder records; and 2) the E-mail records. Both types of records have a UserID value that will need to be changed.

I can't give you specific directions on how to find either type of record. I can just say to query the Mailbox table and find them however you can. Then, you can flag and do a Browser export to dBase of the records you want. (Actually, I would hope you could use a filter on the E-mails, because the time required to do all this might otherwise exceed what it would take just to move the records one at a time. Or, better yet, write a query that will give you the records that need to be changed. Run it in GoldBox and it the result set will be a dBase table named THEQUERY.DBF in the GoldBox root).

Once you get the records exported, you would do a Global Replace on the UserID field of the exported table. Then you can just do a Mirror Update to the Mailbox table, matching on Recid (check Sync and No New Recid). You'll also need to select the UserID as the only field (at least I think it would be the only field) you'd want updated; all the other fields MUST be protected from update.

BE SURE TO BACKUP THE MAILBOX TABLE BEFORE YOU DO ANY OF THIS!!!

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:39 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

This is something I've done multiple times with ease.

I just use the GoldBox User Name changer feature. Which works effortlessly. It's worth the price for this feature alone.

It's perfectly simple. You have dozens of emails, tasks, pendings, etc. under username LION. You want to change everything over to TIGER.

Step 1 - create user called TIGER
Step 2 - using the USER NAME changer, put LION in the CURRENT USER field (left) and TIGER in the (CHANGE TO) right field and press go.

It changes every single thing in the database which belongs to LION user name to TIGER user name.

Growl.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:44 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

Sorry Kiwi. I could have been more specific. You didnt' need to create a new user.

You already have a user name called MYCOLLEAGUE.

You put LION in the existing field and MYCOLLEAGUE in the change to field and press go.

Forget all that stuff about lions and tigers. Sorry. Laughing But I'm sure you got the idea, nevertheless...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:52 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
kiwi
n00b

Hi Clare (and Bob) for the replies.

Unfortunately this isn't a situation where I want to transfer ALL the email records from one user to another.

The first user (lets call him SLOTH) is a current user with 1000's of emails. He has several hundred emails in multiple in-boxes. He wants to transfer 3 of these inboxes to another user (I'll call him MULE) .

The User Name change feature doesn't have a filter option so if I used it SLOTH wouldn't have any emails left and MULE would be left carrying all the load!

Dave - any chance this could be added as an update?

kiwi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 8:13 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

What you want to do is not available as a simple, packaged operation in GoldBox. I'll leave it up to you whether you want to contact Dave directly about that; he may not respond to you in this venue.

But GoldBox can do it. The change you want to make is in the Mailbox table. It can be done as follows:

0. MAKE A FULL BACKUP.

1. Export Mailbox records that meet the following filter:

Code:
Mailbox->UserID="OLDUSER".AND.Mailbox->Folder="X-GM-SUBFILED".AND.Mailbox->"XYZ"

where XYZ is the name of a subfolder that that you want to transfer. Apprently you will have to make several exports, one for each such folder. You can append succeeding exports to one another.

2. Do a Global Replace on the exported file, changing OLDUSER to NEWUSER.

3. Do a Mirror Update of the Mailbox table, using NO NEW RECID, and matching on RECID. You have the option of blocking the update on all fields except UserID; it really won't matter, because all the data will be the same anyway, except for that field.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 5:53 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
kiwi
n00b

Thanks for the direction.

I can see every other option in the Export list apart from one referring to the Mailbox table.
Can you please point me in the right direction.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:16 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Sorry, should have mentioned that with SQL, you do have to query out the Mailbox table. You could just run the query at GoldBox's Query Analyzer, and then use the dBase file the query creates ( THEQUERY.DBF ) as a substitute for the Mailbox table. Or, you might want to create a Convert to dbase setup, and give the table your own name (good if it;s something you need to do repeatedly). Either way, you'd convert that filter I gave you to a query, something like:

Code:
Select * from Mailbox where UserID='OLDUSER' AND Folder='X-GM-SUBFILED' AND Folder2 = 'XYZ'

Then you'd pick up at Step 2 of my earlier post.

One other thing: if you can wait a few days, you may (not a promise) find that a Global Replace of the Mailbox table has been added to GoldBox. Mailbox is a dangerous place, so if you decide to wait for that, ask questions before you use it.

www.goldboxbob.com

Transfer email folders to another user
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox