A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine Legacy » Word painfully SLOW
Word painfully SLOW
PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:02 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DavidH
n00b

I have used GM for 10 years or so and currently use GM 5.7 and it is on a WinNT server. I have 6 workstations and I have two old Pentium3's running Win98 SE which work the best and fastest. I have 3 newer computers, P4's with 512 ram or better running Win XP Pro and something doesn't work right with the MS Word Link with these newer computers. When I choose a letter I want to use in GM, whether Word is already open or not, it takes about 70 seconds (yes, over a minute) for the letter to come up and the hour glass to go away where I can print. On the Win98 machines, this takes a few seconds (like it should). Has anyone else had this problem? What's the cure?

David

Word link slow
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:44 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Gav@Aber
n00b

Hi David,

I hve a similar problem which started just over a year ago.
We use Windows XP Pro and Office 97. Goldmine resides on our home-built SBS 2003 server. It used to reside on a partition of a linux server, but was moved to the new server 6 months ago. I don't think the server version or OS plays a part with the problem.

My workaround is to click the START button, shifting the systems focus from Word. This can be repeated a couple of time and greatly speeds up the integration of the Goldmine fields for some reason. A collegue developed an alternative method - click on Goldmine, click back to Word, back to Goldmine and then Word again and it should be ready to use. Again, this moves focus from Word and somehow speeds up the field update.]

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:44 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Curare few items from my InfoCenter:

Issue:

Launching a template is very slow.

Resolution A:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5102-6270-5034424.html

Resolution B:

In Word
Tools | Options |General tab
Uncheck - Update automatic links at open

Resolution C:

When merging a document to Word it takes a minute or more to merge. This can be caused by the templates having a dde command and the app identifier specified. Check the properties of the template in GoldMine and remove any entries in these two fields.

Resolution D:

Exit Microsoft Antispyware and Voila!
Fast Word 2003 Merge

Issue:

When doing a merge to a MS Word Template via GoldMine,MS Word will come up quickly. However, the process of merging GoldMine information does not immediately start and sometimes can take up to a minute to complete.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cause:

Ctfmon.exe(A process installed by Microsoft Office 2003) is causing the merge process to run slowly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution:

1. Press Ctrl + Alt + Del on your keyboard.
2. Click on Task Manager.
3. Find the Ctfmon.exe process listed under the Processes tab.
4. Highlight the process and click the End Task button.

*Note: This resolution does not permenately fix the problem as the process will start up again at reboot and opening other programs can cause the process to start again.

**Note: For information on what this process does and how to permenantely remove it, search for cftmon.exe at www.microsoft.com.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Word painfully SLOW
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine Legacy