A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » Import Won't Save Source File
Import Won't Save Source File
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:46 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
tt
GoldMine Apprentice

I have an import setup that is setup to save the source file after the import. It was working fine and then all of a sudden it stopped writing the file to the disk. The expression for the location to save the file is entered as:

"h:\userda~1\dmadat~1\dunand~1\goldbox\archiv~1"+"\DNB"+Generate("DNBLISTNO")+"_"+DtoS(Date())+"_"+StrTran(Time(),".")+".dbf"

When I check the result in the expression builder it shows the correct file name/path and I get no errors.

Like I say, it was working fine and all of a sudden stopped saving the file.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:05 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

What's surprising is that it ever worked. Your StrTran on Time() is incomplete, leaving you with colons in the filename. Try

"h:\userda~1\dmadat~1\dunand~1\goldbox\archiv~1"+"\DNB"+Generate("DNBLISTNO")+"_"+DtoS(Date())+"_"+StrTran(Time(),":","")+".dbf"

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:40 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
tt
GoldMine Apprentice

Thanks for the help. I made a mistake in my typing of the expression here on the board and I actually did have a : (colon) in my expression in Goldbox. I did not have the double quotes. I had StrTran(Time(),":")

I entered the following (this time cut and pasted so it's right):

"h:\userda~1\dmadat~1\dunand~1\goldbox\archiv~1"+"\DNB"+Generate("DNBLISTNO")+"_"+DtoS(Date())+"_"+StrTran(Time(),":","")+".dbf"

But it still is not writing the file. Here is what the expression checker says it would return:

h:\userda~1\dmadat~1\dunand~1\goldbox\archiv~1\DNB00006_20110121_102806.dbf

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:52 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

We agree on the expression now. I don't know of a reason why GoldBox would stop writing a filename that's valid. Maybe a change in rights? I know that's not likely, but it would be logical. If not that, then I think I'd test it with a much shorter path (four tildes is a lot), to see if it will write to the root of drive, maybe.

Bottom line, if GoldBox has stopped doing what it does, then something else must have changed, somewhere. OS? SQL? Hardware? Lots of possibilities. But whatever it is, it probably is not GoldBox, this time.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:30 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
tt
GoldMine Apprentice

Here's what I've tried so far. I changed the file name to data.dbf and tried to save it with the following expressions:

"h:\data.dbf"
"c:\data.dbf"
"i:\goldbox\data.dbf" - This is the folder where Goldbox is installed.

All of the drives give "Full Control" permissions to domain administrators (of which I am one) and I am logged on as the user on the server that is running Goldbox.

There's no new hardware installed and the only new software installed are some Microsoft patches. I did try to update SQL Server 2008 to SP2 and that update failed on 12/28/2010. I have a support ticket with Microsoft trying to track down the reason for the failure as I've scoured the internet and can't find a fix. However, Goldbox did save a source file on 1/3/2011 which is after the failed SQL update.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:45 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

I should have asked you in the beginning: what is the full version of GoldBox?

Also, confirm for me that this is being done as a renaming in a Q-file, not from a Setup. That is, that you are not doing this as an Export. In fact, if you are not, you might want to try creating an Export of the Source file, and see if that will save, both as a short filename, and as the expression you are using.

Also, I guess a bad BDE is possible; one of the first tests I run when verifying that I have a good BDE is an export. If you can't get an Export to work, you'll need to go through the BDE, including the SQL or ODBC driver.

Finally, despite the date mis-match, I'd still suspect that SQL 2008 problem. This is almost certainly something to do with the environment, not GoldBox itself.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:44 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
tt
GoldMine Apprentice

The Goldbox version taken from the "Help|About" says 2010-B.

The saving of the file is triggered as a {Save-DBF} write back in the import setup and not as a separate step in a Q-file. It's basically setup as you outlined in your "Latest Features For Goldbox 7 Import/Update Automation" article.

However, I have tried to get it to work in 2 ways. First is running just the individual Import with the {Save-DBF} function in the write back. That is how I tested the different files above. And I have also tried to run the Q-file that I have setup for the complete import process that we have configured and I get the same results. This Q-file again uses the {Save-DBF} function in the import setup and not a seprate Q-file statement to save the source file.

I'll play around with the export, BDE and ODBC and will get back to on the results. I've also just had a discussion with Microsoft and they pointed me to a hotfix that needs to be installed before I can upgrade to SP2. I'll try that first and see what happens.

Thanks for your help - I'll let you know what I find out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:15 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

OK, I wrote that article not long after Dave added some features, including that one. Now, I'm a creature of habit, and I had been using separate Q-file statements long before then, and I have continued to do so. While I did test those new features at the time, I have not used them since then, so I guess it's possible that something has happened to that one.

The only way I use Write-Back is for saving the Accountno (and/or some other value) to a field(s) in the Source file. I often have no option to doing that, but I don't like to load down an Import with Write-Backs, so I just do it in the Q-file, as a Rename, entering both the old and the new names. That has always worked very reliably for me. And it makes testing easy, just use the REM's provided in the Q-file. Do let me know how you fare.

www.goldboxbob.com

Import Won't Save Source File
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox