A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 7 (Corporate Edition) » GoldMine 7.51 Office Link Install Issue
GoldMine 7.51 Office Link Install Issue
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:36 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
ronanc
GoldMine Veteran

GoldMine 7.51.81009
Office 2007 Professional MSO 12.0.4518.1014
Windows 7 Professional x32
SQL Server 2005 Express SP3

Hi all,

Im having an issue installing the Office link for a user on 7.51; I actually have been having the issue for a while now but I cant find the thread on Connect so Im going to throw it up here again in case anyone can shed any light on the issue.

Basically, I am installing a remote user 7.51 to a Windows 7 laptop. The installer goes thru the various screens (very slowly I might add) until it comes to the screen where you choose the install location and the various components to be installed. I select all three Office components and click Next, the box appears asking me do I want to install the various add-ons for Office and I click Yes and almost immediately I get the installed "Finish" screen saying that the operation has been cancelled; the same screen I would get if I had clicked Cancel at any point during the install.

If I run the installer without selecting the Office components it installs fine.

This machine was previously running Vista, and I had the same issue, so I dont think its to do with Windows 7. I can install the same version of GoldMine to my Windows 7 machine (more or less identical set up) and it installs fine. The machine was completely reinstalled from scratch during the upgrade to Windows 7, so its very baffling that the issue still persists.

On the machine, UAC is turned off, the user has full admin rights, the setup file is set to run as administrator, I have tried running as administrator, I have tried setting the compatibility mode to "Windows XP SP2" and I have ensured that the user has full rights in the security settings of the setup file, but none of this makes any difference.

If I look in the event viewer after the install fails I see an information event under Applications for the installer, which gives the line:

Quote:
Installation Success or Error Status: 1603

A Google of this issue seems to suggest that it might be related to an issue with running VB Scripts, which would make sense, because as far as I can tell the Office link is installed by running a script. The solution I found was to register a file in system32 called VBScript.dll, which I did but it had no effect. I also found a Microsoft support article about the same issue, which had a file to run which registered some more dll files, but again this did not work.

One other thing I tried was to add "file://c$" to the trusted zones in Internet Explorer, in case the was a trust issue regarding the file. Again no luck.

My apologies for the essay, but this one really has me stumped. If anyone can shed any light on this then it would be great! The fact that a complete OS reinstall did not resolve the issue is what has me really baffled. There is nothing else really installed on the machine which I can see might be causing an issue; just QuickBooks, AVG Free (which I have disabled), and the usual apps like Firefox etc. Im starting to wonder if it might be hardware related...

Edit to add: when this issue occured initially with the remote install, I just started to run the normal gmsetup.exe file to install a blank GoldMine to the machine, so all of this is related to running gmsetup.exe, not the one button sync installer file.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:51 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Ralph, at FrontRange, has already stated that there are issues with GISMO and the Office Link within Windows 7, specifically the issue that you were seeing. I have been successful in some of these installs, GMPE, by turning UAC down to it's lowest setting.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:49 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
ronanc
GoldMine Veteran

UAC is turned off on the machine.

Did that issue also apply to Vista, as the issue existed before he reformatted the machine and applied Win7? Is there any reason why it would happen on one machine and not another (given that it works perfectly well on my Win7 machine)?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:06 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

UAC can be turned off on Vista, however, it can only be turned down in W7 as I remember it. Also, in both cases, you must install as an Administrator running the exe.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

GoldMine 7.51 Office Link Install Issue
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 7 (Corporate Edition)