A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine Coders » Failing to connect to GoldMine API in dev environment
Failing to connect to GoldMine API in dev environment
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Jargon
n00b

Hola,

I've been bashing my head against this for a couple of days and I don't know what's up. I'm writing an application to automatically create a contact record and then an opportunity but I'm having issues connecting the GMXMLAPI to our development installation of GoldMine. It works for the production installation but I really don't want to be testing on there.

I'm loading GoldMine and then my application connects to the GoldMine UI and makes a call to the GetLoginCredentials function, which works as expected. It returns the username and code, but when I try to use the *DDE_LOGIN_CREDENTIALS* connect/login method it fails with a -2 (Failed to validate GoldMine user name and password.) but only with the development installation. The production installation authenticates perfectly.

I'm sure it's something to do with the registered GoldMine DLLs and registry entries pointing to the production installation of GoldMine even though I've loaded the development version (I have both running on the same machine side-by-side). Does anyone know what could be causing the problem? If so, the solution would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:08 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

See if this helps you: Whomever you are logging in as in GoldMine go to User Settings | Access tab and make certain that there is a SQL Login and a SQL Password for that UserID.

Fred Block had given me this advice a while ago, and it worked in my case.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:53 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Jargon
n00b

Yup, the SQL details are correctly in the user's settings. However, when using the LoadAPI XML API function, it requires an SQL username and password as some of the parameters, but I don't want to hard code this into my application (or store it in an easily viewable config file). I thought a DDE_LOGIN_CREDENTIALS would bypass that so those parameters are actually empty strings. I assume this is actually wrong but I don't know what should be put there instead.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:49 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

I'm sorry, I don't. I have never used the Login Credentials as they have never worked for me. I usually keep the information in an ini file with the passwords encrypted.

www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:44 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Jargon
n00b

It was working in the production environment, but it appears my tampering has even stopped that. Such a shame as well, since I think I was getting closer. I realised that passing the SQL username and password is only optional so I added another method in my class to allow that and now it allows a login that has hard coded user credentials, but as I said I've lost the ability to use *DDE_LOGIN_CREDENTIALS* and I think it is down to using regsvr32.exe on a bunch of GoldMine DLLs in the dev installation's folder... which also does not work.

Why is GoldMine integration so fiddly? Sad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:42 am Points: 1 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

It's probably because you have two installations on that machine. I'd suggest that you just set up a virtual machine for your dev environment.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:59 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Ah! Good point Doug.

www.DJHunt.US

Failing to connect to GoldMine API in dev environment
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine Coders