A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 7 (Corporate Edition) » Win 7 x64 SQL Server Express 2008 R2 x64 and CE 7.51
Win 7 x64 SQL Server Express 2008 R2 x64 and CE 7.51
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:43 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
voncorp
GoldMine Apprentice

Anyone been brave enough to try running 7.51 on:
Win 7 Pro x64
with SQL Server Express 2008 R2 x64 as the DB engine?

Just thought I would ask before I started experimenting.

This would be a remote Client using Goldsync, in case that matters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:06 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

If that does not work, FRS is supposedly working on an upgrade that, I suspect, will accomodate the latest operating systems.

My recommendation is to move up to GMPE. There is a very good promotion available though it expires tomorrow (Apr 30th).

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:12 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
voncorp
GoldMine Apprentice

Thanks for the quick response Bob.

I know, I know about GMPE. Probably should have jumped on the latest offer, but we are still holding out. It be nice if Frontrange inspired more confidence. It's feels a lot like a wire cutter/stripper we have. It's a great piece of equipment, and I am tempted by the company's high end models that will crimp terminals onto the wires also, but after getting jacked around on repairing the small one we have now, I don't have much confidence in how I would be treated when I spend even more money with them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 6:35 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

I understand where you are coming from. On the other hand, I have been using and supporting GM since 1990 and have become very comfortable with it. I can't say that GM is without problems but considering the sophistication of the program and all the things it offers, we can reasonably expect some issues.

Anyway, good luck.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:11 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
ronanc
GoldMine Veteran

I have one customer running 7.51 on Win7 (one remote laptop) and he has big problems. I have been working on it for a long time and am still struggling to make it work (the problems surround the Office link), and while I reckon the problems may be with the laptop more than the OS, I still cant rule out Win7 as the cause.

That said, I have tested 7.51 on my own system and it appears to work okay. Im not sure Id be recommending anyone try run it tho. There may well be another version of GoldMine 7 which will be compatible with Windows 7, check with FrontRange to find out, and if there is then I would advise you wait for that.

On the other hand, GoldMine PE works perfectly on Windows 7 from what I have seen so far.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:14 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
voncorp
GoldMine Apprentice

Just a follow up for anyone interested.

A month and a half in, no problems with the setup described. I did set the database SQL Express to a compatability level of "SQL Server 2000 (80)", just to be safe. (Main/Sync server is running SQL Server 2000 on Win2k3 Server).
Deployed to a second unit 2 weeks ago due to unrelated OS problems, and no trouble there either.

Maybe not something to recommend, but it does seem to work.

Win 7 x64 SQL Server Express 2008 R2 x64 and CE 7.51
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 7 (Corporate Edition)