A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6 » Mailbox.DBT and BR7
Mailbox.DBT and BR7
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:37 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
tdc100
GoldMine Apprentice

Hi
My Mailbox.DBT getting very large, does anyone know if there is a quick way to delete all emails and attacments, for all users, which are say over 5 years old or would I have to login as each user and do it manually?
I did a search on here for similar posts but didn't find a way, although I noticed some mention of using BR7 but not sure what this does or where to download it can anyone clarify.
Thank you.
Regards
David

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:05 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
ronanc
GoldMine Veteran

The problem with using BR7 for this is that deleting emails from mailbox will leave the corresponding cal/conthist email stranded, and in a dBase backend its tricky to tidy up.

GoldBox might be able to do this (I have it in my head it can but I might be wrong), but other than that you might be as well just getting the users to delete the emails themselves thru GoldMine.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:00 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

GoldBox is the best way. It gives you the option to Archive E-mail before it's deleted (the Pro version will give you a GoldBox View to access the archived E-mail in concert with GoldMine). Or, you can delete the E-mail "through" the History records that are paired with the Mailbox records. In fact, you have the option to delete only the E-mail records (leaving the History records in place); or of deleting both.

There are two advantages to leaving the History record in place:

1. The History gives you a clue as to whether Archived E-mail may exist without even opening the View.

2. If you later upgrade to GoldMine in SQL, it simplifies the return of the E-mail to GoldMine (if you decide you want to do that).

The only thing I'd delete with BR7 would be UNLINKED E-mail in the Mailbox table; and I'd be VERY, VERY careful about doing that. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you can find you have deleted templates and even folders unintentionally.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:35 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

The first thking I wjuld do would be to back up your thre mailbox files (copy them to another location). I would also consider running queries to determine how much trash (undeleted emails) are in mailbox.dbf. These can be deleted to make space. I would also consider deleting emails that are not linked to contacts. If you have a lot of old emails in your inbox, these too can be deleted. If you have been doing email broadcasts and saving the email with evfery contact, you can delete those duplicates. BR7 can handle this bhasic stuff though GoldBox provides many more options. After deleting emails, you will need to pack/rebjuild to get the space back.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:36 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
tdc100
GoldMine Apprentice

Thank you all for your very kind and helpful advice
Best regards
David

Mailbox.DBT and BR7
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6