A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6 » Filter Automated process Goto page 1, 2  Next
Filter Automated process
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:03 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
joebit
GoldMine Journeyman

Hi all. Its been a while since I visited the Frontrange Goldmine forum. To my dismay I found out that the powers that be have closed it down. Thanks Doug for setting up a replacement.
i would like to know if its possible to Filter contacts with AP's attached to them? If so any help would be appreciated.

Also looking at upgrading from 6.7. Could somebody give me a honest opinion if it actually worth the cost.

regards

Joe

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:43 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

It would be helpful to know what version you are currently using, how many users does your license support, what kind of business are youin, and what operating systems are on your systems/server.

I just like to know more about peoples needs and environment before I give recommendations.

I will give you a SQL Query that will help identify those contacts with tracks (APs) attached later today when I get to my other system. Filters work on two tables (Contact1 and Contact2). The AP are stored in another table that GM's filters will not reach. Unless you have GoldBox, SQL Queries will probably be the way to go.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

AP's SQL filter
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:01 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
joebit
GoldMine Journeyman

Thanks for your interest.
I'm currently running Goldmine 6.70.70226 with a DBase backend with 8 licenses running on a xp pro server and I'm in the real estate business.

Should I upgrade. Frontrange are offering an upgrade to 8.5 for AUD $499.00 per license at the moment through a solution partner here in Australia. Can you do better from the States?

regards

Joe

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:18 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Good morning Joe. First let me state that your version does not matter when it comes to SQL Queries that which is what you would need to use to pull those records with the APs or certain APs.

select C1.AccountNo,
C1.Contact,
C1.Company,
CS.*
from Contact1 C1,
ContSupp CS
where C1.AccountNo=CS.Accountno
and CS.RecType=[E]

This query should pull out all of the records that have APs attached.

You would be wise to upgrade to GoldMine Premium if you can afford it, however, the US list price is $549.00 per license plus the cost of your maintenance plan add $139.00 per seat. It sounds as though the extremes rate favors your Australian dollar.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:52 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

I agree that the version of GM does not matter unless someone is running older versions like 4.0 or 3.5.

DJ's query has a typo in it and would not run on my system. Here is a corrected version:

Code:
select C1.AccountNo,
C1.Contact,
C1.Company,
CS.*
from Contact1 C1,
ContSupp CS
and CS.RecType="E"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:05 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Just to clarify, I believe the reason the brackets in DJ's query did not work was because the database is hosted in dBase. Would work fine if the data were hosted in SQL. So, Bob G's question actually was appropriate.

{Edit}

Bob G just told me he had a problem with DJ's query even in SQL, and sure enough, I found it wouldn't work for me, either. Even SQL doesn't like the brackets, it seems. However, because there are known differences in the way queries work between dBase and SQL, I still say Bob G's question was appropriate.

Oh, and while I'm clarifying, some mention of GoldBox was made earlier. It's true that GoldBox can recognize filters on many more GoldMine tables than is possible with GoldMine. However, use of such filters is restricted to working with GoldBox on GoldMine data; GoldBox filters cannot be used within the GoldMine interface.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:12 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Actually, BG is correct while BT is not. I have too much dBase background. BG is correct in that my select statement should have had single quotes as opposed to [].

select C1.AccountNo,
C1.Contact,
C1.Company,
CS.*
from Contact1 C1,
ContSupp CS
and CS.RecType='E'

Had I been using FoxPro, the original syntax would've been correct.

www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Not sure what it was that I was incorrect about, DJ. It is a fact that the brackets failed, and that the double-quotes worked. Yes, I always use single quotes myself, because doubles often fail in queries; but in this case they worked.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:58 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Bob's Mistake wrote:
Just to clarify, I believe the reason the brackets in DJ's query did not work was because the database is hosted in dBase.

The brackets are a dBase attribute, and should have worked against a dBase table. They can be used in limited areas against the SQL tables. For instance:

select CS.ContSupRef+CS.Address1 as [E-mail Address]

www.DJHunt.US

Filter AP's
PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:21 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
joebit
GoldMine Journeyman

Thanks guys I'm in the process of upgrading to PE. It seems that the upgrade cost is less in Australia at the moment with the incentive offers.

DJ your SQL query worked a treat. Had no doubt it would. As soon as I'm in possession of my upgrade disks I will get your upgraded hackers guide. Invaluable in my opinion.

Thanks all.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:17 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Joe Bitta wrote:
DJ your SQL query worked a treat. Had no doubt it would. As soon as I'm in possession of my upgrade disks I will get your upgraded hackers guide. Invaluable in my opinion.

Thank you for those kind words.

www.DJHunt.US

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:01 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
joebit
GoldMine Journeyman

That sqL query works a treat but is there any way to saved it as a filter in order to activate the filter? IF so how? I can't seem to find a way.

thanks in anticipation

Regards

Joe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:44 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

You can save the querry then bring it up anytime you want to run it just by clicking on "query". In your GM, go to Lookup place your cursor on SQL Queries then push the F1 key for more help in the use of this very powerful function.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:20 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Once you issue the query and have the results listed in the sql query tab, go over to the groups tab, make a new group and in the add-members wizard for that group, select to use the SQL Query results as the source of the new members for the group. Then, later, you can simply activate that group.

Note that groups and filters are not the same thing in that filters change dynamically with the database -- if the criteria are no longer met be the contacts, they won't be returned by the filter, whereas groups are static -- if a member is in a group, they're there until you remove them.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:35 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

Doug makes a good point. In addition, if you use GoldBox to build your groups, those groups are dynamic. Once set up, you just click on a button and GoldBox goes through and updates the group.

Filter Automated process
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6