A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6 » Monthly calendar - Monday starts week not Sunday
Monthly calendar - Monday starts week not Sunday
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:18 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

Hello everyone... Hope you're all thriving.

This one is a puzzle. Years ago, someone gave me a setting which enabled the monthly calendar to display with the week starting at MONDAY rather than Sunday.

This worked. But I've recently installed a new computer and I can't work out how to set it on this system. On my old computer, the monthly calendar is still displaying with week starting Monday, on this system it's Sunday.

I thought it was a setting in gm.ini rather than the user.ini, but I can't see anything there to change. So I've checked in the user.ini and discovered there is a setting, in [CalObj], called FirstDow=0, which I then set to FirstDow=1. But that didn't do it.

Does anyone have any insight into this, please? I'd be grateful. Most of my use of the calendar is for events on the weekend and it's much easier to see what's going on if the days are next to each other...

Thanks for much for your time in advance, if you are able to think about this one.

X

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:54 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

If you think it might be a setting in an ini file, backup your new system then copy some old ini files over from old and see what that does.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:59 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

bgannett wrote:
If you think it might be a setting in an ini file, backup your new system then copy some old ini files over from old and see what that does.

Hi Bob. Yes, thanks. That's absolutely what I ought to do.

I just need first to get my network sorted out. I'm a bit befuddled about it - but yes. That's right. Get the network going, copy the files across. (I have no backups available on my 'new' system, just my old. But need to get the network working pronto, at it hjs been set up specifically for backup.)

Sorry - that was a bit of a thicko question to ask, really!

Thank for the rational advice!

Cx

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:56 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

Backups should be simple. Either copy your entire \goldmine to another folder or just copy the *.ini files to another folder. Backups sometimes save the day.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:18 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

bgannett wrote:
Backups should be simple. Either copy your entire \goldmine to another folder or just copy the *.ini files to another folder. Backups sometimes save the day.

Hi Bob

Oh yes, don't worry, I do a backup a couple of times a week.

I meant that I've just built a new second computer and haven't managed to network yet to get into my other puter, on which my last backup is with, hopefully, the correct ini settings for the calendar. I am about to network.

Solution at last !
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:13 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

Well, after literally months of googling and asking and checking forums, at last I have the answer to the puzzle of why my monthly calendars stopped displaying with week starting on a Monday.

Nothing I did worked. Not copying over ini files from previous installations, not any old backup copy, nothing. Today I've been launching GM from backup folders from years ago - and still the dates were displaying on a Sunday. The settings in Goldmine which used to work had been copied over year after year, so the display should never have changed. It's been a real puzzle.

But oh, the answer was so, so obvious, had I just thought a little more clearly.

I had thought that it was a GoldMine setting I'd screwed up. What had gone wrong was that I'd done a new install of XP and on this last occasion, for the first time ever, I set only two out of the three regional language settings. There's a repeat regional language setting for some reason under the advanced tab when you install - and I've never before forgotten to set it. This time I was careless.

I prohbably would have spent the rest of the lifetime of this current install never being able to work properly in GoldMine again, never suspecting a global setting on the system, but tonight in despair I googled "weekday starts Monday in XP" and got back

http://superuser.com/questions/124560/change-default-calendar-starting-weekday-in-windows-xp

- an answer at LAST! I went into Control Panel, saw to my shock it was still set at USA in in the Advanced tab, set that to the UK, rebooted and Bob is now my uncle. Both the Bobs are now my uncles, in fact.

Wink

So I can again get on properly with my work after months. Hooray! Jubilation!

Thanks for the ideas everyone and sorry I came with a problem that seemed to be GoldMine but was in fact not. But maybe this will help someone else at some point (in the UK) at any rate. Hope so.

X

Monthly calendar - Monday starts week not Sunday
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6