A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6 » lookup ini
lookup ini
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:32 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

Hello All

Could you any of you give me any assistance with this one, please, if you have a moment?

I've just had another bout of trying to get my lookup ini to populate the DEAR field with the first name. To no avail. To my astonishment, despite trying the formulas on about 10 different Goldmine blog sites, where the exact formula is laid out clearly, none of them work on my system.

More strangely, a couple of the following worked literally once and then refused to work after that. That must be something to do with the overwrite. But it was odd, because in those cases I saw in a microflash the first name appear in the field and then disappear. So it was trying....

None of the following worked consistently and most didn't work even once.

Quote:

AutoUpdate]
NewRecord=Dear

[Dear]
lookup1=firstname
Overwrite=1

----------------------------------

[AutoUpdate]
NewRecord=Dear
Contact=Dear

[Dear]
Lookup1=Contact
Otherwise=&trim(substr(contact1->contact,1,at(" ",contact1->contact)))
Overwrite=1

[AutoUpdate]
NewRecord=Dear
Contact=Dear

[Dear]
Otherwise=&firstname
Overwrite=0

[AutoUpdate]
New=DEAR

[Dear]
Otherwise=&firstname

[AutoUpdate]
Contact=Dear

[Dear]
Lookup1=Contact
Otherwise=&trim(substr(contact1->contact, 1, at(" ", contact1->contact)))
Overwrite=1

Does anyone have a clue where I could possibly be going wrong with this? By the way, each time I tried a different formula, I shut down Goldmine, edited lookup.ini, saved lookup.ini file, then reopened GoldMine.

I would also love the lastname field to populate similarly within the lookup ini.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can offer on this. Would be lovely to get it working after all these years...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:11 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

There is no reason why those shouldn't have worked. You must be sure that you have only one Lookup.ini anywhere and it should be in the GoldMine root folder. You must Close GoldMine and the re-open GoldMine between modifications of the Lookup.ini.

Alternatively, you just have your Lookup.ini constructed improperly.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:28 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

I agree with DJ. This works for me.

Code:
[AutoUpdate]
NewRecord=Dear
Contact=Dear

[Dear]
LookUp1
otherwise=&firstname
overwrite=1

Last edited by bgannett on Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:16 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

Very strange indeed.

(1) I have copied my old lookup.ini file somewhere else and definitely only have one lookup.ini my goldmine directory.

(2) In order to isolate just that one piece of code in the lookup ini, that's all I have in it. No other instructions. Just the first name lookup.

(3) I do close down and reopen GoldMine each time I try out the lookup.ini.

And it doesn't work. I tried DJ's version of it. No change.

Is there anything which is supposed to go at the very top of a lookup ini file and at the end?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:37 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

PS

I've also checked that the DEAR fieldname isn't coloured white against - which it isn't.

Well, I've solved it another way.

I've just put &FirstName as the expression in the field data box in the Dear field properties. Which works instantly.

So, for what it's worth, my analysis is that there was something dodgy about my DEAR field. Because when I tried to do the same thing in the LASTNAME field, I discovered the option to put an expression in is greyed out. As it also is for all the priimary fields in the upper quadrant, i.e. company, contact, keys 1-5 etc.

But it was possible to edit the NAME field.

Yet it looked all right. The name in database (was) called DEAR, the global label and the local label were both DEAR.

The name in database for the DEAR field is now not active. Instead it's an expression &FirstName.

However, that is not ideal. Because I can't overwrite the field with, say, "Mr and Mrs Smith" if I want the contact to be addressed in that way.

Have you ever seen this situation before all the Bobs and DJ?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:51 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

Sorry, I've been careless with what I typed. It was NOT possible to edit the NAME field (my local label for contact).

I could edit only the DEAR field by putting &FirstName in the expression field in the properties / datafield.

But I couldn't and didn't edit any other of the primary fields in the upper quadrant - the expression field was greyed out.

I'm thinking that my DEAR field is corrupted in some way and I ought to reinstall GM. Except I'm not sure I can face it, what with centuries old key codes & serial numbers etc which are now lost in the mists of time.

Maybe I've got an uncorrupted DEAR field in a very old backup somewhere, which I'll try, I guess.

Anyway, just thought I'd clarify...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:19 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Which is using a Expression Field instead of having the First Name in a field for use elsewhere. I don't think that this should be your goal, but if you can't fix your Lookup.ini then this will have to do.

It doesn't look like you've followed my direction to remove all of the Lookup.inis from your system except the one in the GoldMine root folder. Also, you certainly have not shown us the contents of that Lookup.ini for analysis.

www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:13 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

Quote:
It doesn't look like you've followed my direction to remove all of the Lookup.inis from your system except the one in the GoldMine root folder. Also, you certainly have not shown us the contents of that Lookup.ini for analysis.

Which is using a Expression Field instead of having the First Name in a field for use elsewhere. I don't think that this should be your goal, but if you can't fix your Lookup.ini then this will have to do.

Hi DJ

Well, I don't have any other lookup.ini on my GoldMine system except the one in the root directory. Any backups I have are kept on another drive.

I would prefer the lookup.ini to work, sure, rather than code in the expression field is not perfect, because I then can't overwrite the field with something other than the first name.

As for the actual lookup ini code I'm using, as soon as you posted your version up, I tried that. And thats the code in there at the moment. My lookup ini file, in other words, only has the following in it - and nothing else at all.

Quote:
[AutoUpdate]
NewRecord=Dear
Contact=Dear

[Dear]
LookUp1
otherwise=&firstname
overwrite=1

Later on I'll be networking up my system and also rooting around on backup drives to find an old Goldmine installation. I'll then overwrite the common & gmbase files etc & set it up as a new system to see if the lookup.ini works on the dear field.

Would like to get this working if possible. Will report back.

Thanks so much for thinking about it some more.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:15 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Is that all that is in your Lookup.ini?

www.DJHunt.US

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:37 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

I agree with DJ's important question. Also, check in your computer's registry to see if your current GM is properly installed (the system is pointing to the correct location/copy) and make sure that it is not also pointing to another location for lookup.ini files.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Lookup1 has to = something. It can't just sit there.

change that line to Lookup1=contact

additionally, make sure you have 'show all file extensions' turned on in windows explorer and that your lookup.ini is not named LOOKUP.INI.TXT in reality.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:21 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
ClareLondon
Obsessive GoldMiner

DougCastell wrote:
Lookup1 has to = something. It can't just sit there.

change that line to Lookup1=contact

additionally, make sure you have 'show all file extensions' turned on in windows explorer and that your lookup.ini is not named LOOKUP.INI.TXT in reality.

Hello Doug, Bob, DU and all.

Do forgive me for seeming to ignore you.

MY ISP's server went down and has been off for all of 2 days. Complete pain. Also last week I had a boot sector virus so had to reinstall a system. So for all sorts of reasons I've been unable to get back on and you've all been helping in my absence.

I'm back on older system now so I'll do some more checking and let you know.

And THANKS to ALL. What would I do without you...

Crying or Very sad

PS
My root sector virus - how on earth does one get them? I bought the latest Norton literally a week ago, have done all the updates, NEVER visit any website ever except my own domains and the Guardian newspaper. Well, a few here and there obviously, but never ever anything dodgy. I don't download attachments, ever. I delete immediately anything that looks remotely spammy. I **think** I do everything I can to protect myself, including logging on as a limited user with no admin rights - and STILL I get a wretched boot sector virus where I have to reformat and reinstall. I mean, what gives???!!! UGH.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:45 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

Do yo mean "Root Sector Virus" or "Boot Sector Virus"? Chances are it is "Boot Sector". Do a Google Search and you will find a lot of good information. Here is one site that provides a description of Boot Sector Virus.
http://www.wisegeek.org/what-is-a-boot-sector-virus.htm

Concerning Norton Anti Virus and the other Norton Toys. Over too many years I have learned to avoid Norton. There are better anti-virus programs some of which are actually free.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:56 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Paul Laufer
GoldBox Guru

ClareLondon wrote:
NEVER visit any website ever except my own domains and the Guardian newspaper.

My advice would be three-fold.

1) Uninstall Java and learn to live without it.
NOTE: Java and Javascript are two entirely different things. All browsers come bundled with Javascript. Java is a program that is apart from your browser, but is often leveraged by the evil people in the world to infect your machine. No Java = no leverage.

2) Use FireFox with NoScript.
3) Make sure your router doesn't expose UPnP to the net. (Can check at ShieldsUp: https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2 )

Those right there would prevent the vast majority of the junk going around.

lookup ini
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6