A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition) » Merge / Purge ....Best practices?
Merge / Purge ....Best practices?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:13 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
JimGunther
GoldMine Journeyman

Several months ago I upgraded from good old D-Base 6.7 to this new fangled SQL (I guess) GM Premium Edition 2013.1.0.287 I felt comfortable with 6.7 but was running out of room (300,000-plus records) and the demise of XP was going to be a problem. All things considered, it seems to be running fine (In general, I just wish I felt more knowledgable about the whole program).

In any event, I just did my first a semi-annual add/update of my customer / prospect list and the importing of 10,000 records seem to have gone fine.

HOWEVER, as customary, of the 10,000 records added - probably - 7,000 are duplicates which already exist in my database...SO, I need to do a merge/purge and (I guess) Goldbox is no longer available.

I'm sure many of my DUPES are identical in the Company and Contact fields but the old "SMOOTHING" operation in Goldbox would "catch" a good many more dupes.
Is there a "best practice" or routine that would allow me to merge old records into the new one (I keep the newest record 'cause it's likely to be most current.)

PS: I've NEVER done a Goldmine Merge/Purge because I've read it was unreliable. So, the whole "weighted" business throws me for a loop.

Lastly, how much time should a merge/purge take?
TIA, Jim

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:50 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
cdohmen
Cuckoo for GoldMine Puffs

Jim:

Always backup obviously before performing any merge/purge.

I use the merge/purge in GMPE frequently and although it might not be as sophisticated as Goldbox it works ok. I beleive that Goldbox is still available for the release that your on. Other can confirm that.

One feature in the merge/purge that I often use is the "Prompt me before merging records" option. This was broken for awhile so closely look at the readme file for your release to see if that issue was still listed.

CD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 7:58 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

You could also try Dexter Bagas product DBX for GoldMine.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 4:35 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

I agree with CD's first comment: Be sure to backup your database before doing any merge/purge.

Check the GM_Admin_Guide for your version. It contains some good information about how to do it in GoldMine.

I sure do agree with DJ's suggestion. DBX is the modern version of GoldBox specifically designed to work in he SQL Environment.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

Merge / Purge ....Best practices?
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition)