A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition) » Migration of Goldmine PE to new server issues - help?
Migration of Goldmine PE to new server issues - help?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:01 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
mattstreet
GoldMine Journeyman

Hi all,

We are attempting to migrate Goldmine to a new server and are having a couple of strange issues. We followed the instructions here:

http://www.goldminewiki.com/how-to-move-goldmine-standard-edition-gmse-to-a-new-server.ashx

And at first glance everything 'looks' like its working but I am observing the following behavior.

In the contacts screen, the contacts are being read from the new server.
In the opportunities screen, the opportunities are being read from the old server.

i.e. I have one machine mapped to the old DB and one to the new via the open DB tool in GM.

If I create a contact on one machine I cannot see it on the other. If I create an opportunity on either machine I can see it on both.

What did I miss?
Is there a better set of instructions for moving a database than the one i've linked. If not what do you recommend, GM needs to move off the ancient server, its getting to be a liability.
Lastly does GM actually need to be installed on the server? I assume its needed for Goldsync services?

GM Version is 2013.1.0.307
Old Server is at 192.168.1.100 and is Server 2003 running SQL 2005 Standard
New is at 192.168.1.10 is Server 2012 running SQL 2012 Express
Both DB's are named Goldmine2 on their respective servers

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:53 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Ugh, those instructions are suitable for GoldMine dBase (version 2/3/4/5/6.) They're not particularly complete for all the additional considerations surrounding GoldMine Premium Edition with an SQL database.

It sounds like you missed a few steps:

Backup and restore the SQL database(s) from the old server to the new
Correct linked document paths inside the database to reflect new server location(s)
Correct INI files to reflect new server location(s)

I'd suggest addressing it sooner than later, though, because as soon as you turn off that old server, you'll find out (the hard way) what you were still depending on it for.

I do offer consulting services and, in fact, just moved a client from an old server to a new one just yesterday. Let me know if you'd like assistance with untangling your situation there!

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 1:37 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
mattstreet
GoldMine Journeyman

Hi there

We did backup and restore the SQL, we added the new database in GM through the configuration within GM to point to the new server

We are using the same mapped drive letter and copied the same GM directory which was mapped on the old server and linked the new database from the configuration in GM
So linking is not needed,

Corrected INI Files as well, is there something specific in INI file we need to do

Can you throw some light what else could be missing

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:28 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Sounds like you have multiple databases and one/some are on the old server. Open the dbalias.ini on the new server and you'll probably see that some of the aliases specify the old server as the host.

If you've been living with some users pointing at one server/database and other users pointing at the other while some point at both.. well... it'll take a little untangling to straighten it all out.

At this point, I'd suggest hiring an experienced GoldMine consultant (like me, for instance) who can clean it all up. Continuing on this way is only going to dilute the effectiveness of GoldMine for your organization. Not to mention, that old server will need to remain online until this is all sorted out.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Migration of Goldmine PE to new server issues - help?
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition)