A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6 » Mailbox Database doesn't shrink
Mailbox Database doesn't shrink
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:36 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
goetzpr4
GoldMine Apprentice

We are currently running Goldmine 6.7. Yesterday I ran a database maintenance on our database files and after completing everything successfully, the size of our Mailbox database did not shrink at all. Before running maintenance, I went through and deleted the usual amount of emails and made sure to empty everyone's trash cans, but for some reason it didn't do anything.

The only thing that I can think of is that we had our server crash and had to rebuild everything from a backup. In order to get programs to launch correctly, we had to reinstall Goldmine over the existing install.

Is it possible that caused an issue with the database? If not, can I go in manually into the Mailbox database and clean it up? If so, which file do I go into? DBF? DBT? If I remove items from the database, will it delete the emails out of the contact history in Goldmine?

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:13 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

It should have shrunken a little, at least, if you'd dealt with an appreciable number of items (as far as deleting junk, emptying trash, etc.)

If it didn't, I'd question the actual location of the mailbox files versus what I'm looking at. Inside GoldMine, go to help|about and then to the system button and see if the GoldMine files item is actually the same location as the mailbox files you're observing the no-change-in-size situation with.

As for manually working on the mailbox files, well, you can do that using dbase tools like BR7 or old-school goldbox, but it's best done by someone familiar with both the tools and the goldmine database vagaries.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:14 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
goetzpr4
GoldMine Apprentice

So, if I were to go into Mailbox.dbf and manually remove records,then run maintenance on it, it would shrink the size of the Mailbox.dbt file, correct?

If I remove records this way, would they also disappear from the Contact History in Goldmine? I only ask this because some of our contact history goes back as far as 2009 and i'm not sure that our sales people want that information to be removed.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:00 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Yes. If you open the mailbox.dbf and delete a bunch of mail and then do maintenance, the mailbox file will shrink. -- If you're operating on the same mailbox file GoldMine is accessing. I've seen many cases where there's a problem of this nature and it turns out the database files actually being shown in GoldMine are not the ones people thought they were. So, nail down that fact (one way or the other) before trying anything else.

If you remove an email from the mailbox table directly, the history item will remain, but it will have no content. You'll see that there was an e-mail on march 15th with a subject of 'Super important stuff!', but you won't be able to read/zoom on it and see anything further about it.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:08 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
goetzpr4
GoldMine Apprentice

Thanks so much for the help! Would one way that I could accomplish verifying the database is ACTUALLY the one being used, to attach (or reattach) it in the "Open Database" window?

If we want to keep all of those emails, is there a way to break out older emails to a separate database to archive? Can that be accomplished through a filter?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:14 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

No, don't attach or reattach or make changes in that area. The Mailbox file isn't changed via the open database window at all. I'd focus on verifying (via help|about|system) the location of the mailbox file and eliminating junk records from that.

There's not really a way to archive directly with GoldMine. I have a 3rd party tool called Compliance for GoldMine that would allow you to export date range and/or user-based lists of mail out to Outlook. If you then deleted them from GoldMine, that would kind of be an archive.

Honestly, the simplest solution is to upgrade your GoldMine to the current version -- which doesn't use dBase databases (and hasn't for about 11-12 years now!) Whether that's an option for you or not, I don't know.

Mailbox Database doesn't shrink
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6