A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6 » GmLink Stopped working
GmLink Stopped working
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:29 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
RoseFarnham
n00b

I have a client on GoldMine 6.5, Window 7 and Word 2007. There are two laptops where the Link to Word has stopped working. They can open the template from GoldMine into Word but the Links are not updating. I have done the following:

Remove the GMLink.dot add-in in Word. By removing the GMLink.dot file and ~$GMLink.dot from startup and deleting the Word key in RegEdit. Checking Word to make sure the Add-in was not there. I then reversed the above process to reinstall. But still no go. I am not able to create a new merge form since I can not insert the merge fields. I have tried checking and unchecking Automatically update links in Word Option but did not make a different. The Macros are set to low.

Any advise will be greatly appreciate.

Thanks,
Rose

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:37 am Points: 1 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Yeah, this is due to a recent windows update turning off DDE in word. You can turn it back on with a registry edit. Snipped this from the GoldMine page on the subj:

Quote:
There were several Windows Updates and Office updates for December 12th and 13th 2017. GoldMine uses DDE macros to insert GoldMine data fields into Word templates. The update below disables DDE insertions which will therefore 'break' GoldMine Plus for Microsoft Word.

Further information about the change is available here:

https://portal.msrc.microsoft.com/en-US/security-guidance/advisory/ADV170021

Microsoft notes that

'...Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Office that provides enhanced security as a defense-in-depth measure. The update disables the Dynamic Update Exchange protocol (DDE) in all supported editions of Microsoft Word.

Microsoft is continuing to investigate this issue and will update this advisory as further updates become available. If you are unable to install the update, or if you need to disable the DDE protocol in other Office applications such as Excel, see Microsoft Security Advisory 4053440. Note that the mitigations listed in the advisory will not disable DDE, but will disable auto-update for any linked fields, including DDE.

If you need to change DDE functionality in Word after installing the update, follow these steps:

In the Registry Editor navigate to \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\<version>\Word\Security >> AllowDDE(DWORD)

Note: that <version> reflects the highest version shown in registry

Example: \HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Word\Security >> AllowDDE(DWORD)

Set the DWORD value based on your requirements as follows:

AllowDDE(DWORD) = 0: To disable DDE. This is the default setting after you install the update.

AllowDDE(DWORD) = 1: To allow DDE requests to an already running program, but prevent DDE requests that require another executable program to be launched.

AllowDDE(DWORD) = 2: To fully allow DDE requests...'

Note: If you need to create a new registry entry

1. Right Click >> New >> DWord (32-bit) value

2. Name = AllowDDE

3. Data = 2

Registry references, please make sure to create the registry in the correct and current used version of Microsoft Word.

Office 2007 12.0

Office 2010 14.0

Office 2013 15.0

Office 2016 16.0

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

GmLink Stopped working
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:49 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
RoseFarnham
n00b

Thanks so much. That solved the issue.

GmLink Stopped working
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6