A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » FAQ » ContactReview.com FAQ's
ContactReview.com FAQ's
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:00 am Points: 1 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

This is the popular GoldMine FAQ list from the ill-fated contactreview.com.

any revisions, additions, etc, please reply within!

Last Revised 2/1/06
1. How can I change the Goldmine shortcut to log on with a username?
1. Right-click on your GoldMine icon
2. Select <Properties>
3. Edit the "Target: " value to include " /u:USER-LOGIN-NAME " after the path to GMW6.exe
Example...
Target: G:\GoldMine\gmw6.exe /u:PAULR
This will now login with this username instead of the default Windows userid.

2. I get the “Waiting for Permission to Log In Screen – ZZZZZ’s” – Help?
This is almost always the result of a failed maintenance. Find the file in GM's root, "license.dbx" or "license.dbu". Rename that file to "license.dbf". That should get you in.

3. I get the Maximum Number of Licensed Users error – What do I do?
This message may have nothing to do with your number of licenses. There are several ways to handle this. The simplest first step may be to reboot the server and the other computers. This will release any licenses that have not been closed down properly by Windows (no matter what the user did or didn't do).
Remember that an undocked user can only log in once (whereas other users could log in multiple times if there are enough licenses.
If this does not correct things, go to your License Manager (File/ Configure/ License Manager and see how many licenses are available. Remember that “Undocked” licenses can only be used by the assigned user.

4. How can I Attach An E-mail Address to More Than One Record?
From the Front Range KnowledgeBase: Duplicate e-mail addresses are not recommended in the GoldMine database.
Generally, you do not want to do this. How will Goldmine know which record to attach the next incoming e-mail to if more than one record shares an e-mail address?

5. How can I set certain activity types to alarm automatically?
Open the username.ini, and under the [GMAlarm] section, place the following "on-by-default" setting:
OnByDefault= Activity Type
For example, the OnByDefault=AC entry will automatically alarm appointments (A) and calls (C) when they are scheduled.

6. When completing an activity, how can I have Goldmine select the “schedule a follow-up” box automatically?
Open the username.ini, and under the [GOLDMINE] section, place the following command:
Followup=1

7. Can I upgrade from Goldmine 5 to Goldmine 6.7?
The recommended solution is to upgrade to 5.7 then up to 6.7.

8. Why Are my GM Help Files Missing?
This is caused by Windows update #KB896358, an HTML fix, that was released mid-June. This Windows update makes Microsoft think that running a .chm (Compiled HTML File) is a security risk over a network. There are several ways to correct this. On each effected workstation, you can remove the update by going thru windows add/remove programs or you can modify a key in the Registry as described below.
Copy the following into notepad, save as a .reg file and then double-click on it to add it to the registry of each machine.
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp]
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\HHRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001
"EnableFrameNavigationInSafeMode"=dword:00000001
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\HTMLHelp\1.x\ItssRestrictions]
"MaxAllowedZone"=dword:00000001

9. How Can I Find Orphan Contact2 Records?
Use a SQL query:
SELECT * FROM Contact2 WHERE AccountNo NOT IN (SELECT AccountNo from Contact1)

10. Can I filter on e-mail addresses?
Yes, here's how:
1. Open the Lookup | Filters dialog.
2. Right-click and select NEW; give the filter a name.
3. In the wizard that appears, click the dBase Expression radio button; then press the Edit Expression button.
4. Paste/key in your filter expression.
empty(&EmailAddress)
or
.not. empty(&EmailAddress)
Click OK.
The filter is now ready for use.
In versions less then GoldMine 6.7, don't do a Count or a Preview as it will crash GoldMine, however, you can activate the Filter and employee in your reports, e-mail blasts, etc.

11. What are the Viewable Size Limits in the Email Center?
Inbox = 1000 items
Sent/Filed = 2500 items
If you have more than 1000 items in the inbox, you need to delete messages to have others appear.

12. Why is my GoldMine running too slow?
There can be many reasons for this. The first one that I would check would be your anti-virus software. If it is set to check all files upon opening, tone it down so that it only checks program files.

13. How do I get rid of the HTML coding that is messing up the notes in my reports?
To turn HTML formatting off in all Notes, place the following entry in the [GoldMine] section of your GM.INI file.
”HTML_CAL_Notes=0”

14. While merging a template with Word, I get a message saying "Ambiguous name detected:TmpDDE". How do I fix this problem?
From the GoldMine kBase Online:
Issue: Ambiguous name detected: TmpDDE error while merging with Word 95, 97 or 2000.
Cause: This is caused when a macro that has be executed via a DDE call has crashed.
When a program executes a macro via DDE in Word 97, Word creates a macro called TmpDDE to execute the requested macro. If Word crashes before the temp macro can be removed, the next DDE request generates a ambiguous name error because it is trying to create a macro that already exists.
Resolution:
In Word, select Tools>>Macro>>Macros and delete all instances of the TmpDDE macro.
If the TmpDDE macro is NOT shown in this list: 1. Click on the 'Macros In' drop-down list box and select Normal.dot. 2. Click on the Organizer button.
Remove all instances of the TmpDDE macro shown for Normal.dot.

15. How do I install Goldmine in an XP environment?
Installing GoldMine in an XP environment:
Server Resolution:
Create an Apps folder
Share the Apps folder with Full Rights to all users
Map to the Apps folder i.e. \\Server\Apps = Z:\
Install GoldMine into Z:\GoldMine using GM6Setup.exe off of the CD ( Do Not Use the CD )
Workstation Resolution:
Map each workstation i.e. \\Server\Apps = Z:\
Drag a shortcut from Z:\GoldMine\GMW6.exe to the Workstation Desktop
Remote Resolution:
Install GoldMine into C:\GoldMine using GM6Setup.exe off of the CD ( Do Not Use the CD )

16. How do I move Goldmine to a Windows XP environment?
1. On the old system, create a sync transfer set that contains all the data. When you get to the screen where you can set the cutoff date/time, check the box that say that you want to transfer all data.
2. Install GM on the XP system. Install it in c:\apps\goldmine.
3. Retrieve your transfer set into the new installation in two phases. The first phase is to bring in just the "Customizations". "Customizations" should be checked twice both in the top portion and again under deletions.
4. Check to make sure that the customizations came across.
5. Retrieve the rest of the data.

17. How do I migrate GM to a new server?
In general terms, here is how I move GoldMine from one server to another.
1. Assuming that your GM is dBase, I would (1) backup then (2) perform full maintenance on GM's data.
2. I would then upgrade your old installation to the latest 6.7. (Caution: If you are upgrading a version prior to 5.50.10424, you must upgrade to 5.50.10424 before upgrading to 6.7.)
3. Next, create a synchronization transfer set containing all data and customizations. It does not have to contain all the logs unless you want to keep that information.
4. On the new server, create a folder like "c:\apps\".
5. Share that folder and map a drive to it. I use something like "M" that is way down in the alphabet so that everyone will be able to use the same drive.
6. Install GoldMine to M:\goldmine. I normally do this from a workstation that is mapped to that location. On the server this will look like "c:\apps\goldmine". Using the mapped drive, this will look like "m:\goldmine".
7. Once GoldMine is installed, retrieve your sync transfer set in two stages: “Customizations” then “data”.
There are many ways to do this. If you are not comfortable with mapping drives, network access, and synchronization, this may be the time to get professional guidance. A competent consultant can accomplish this type of installation remotely.

18. What do I need to watch out for when deleting a Goldmine user?
Some of a user's functions will be automatically deleted when deleting a Goldmine user. Others you need to manually delete.
-Pending activities
-Filters
-Queries
-Templates (email,word,excel)
-Cloned reports
-Records owned by that user
-AP's
-Taskbar

19. How do I submit a feature enhancement to Front Range for Goldmine?
The proper way to submit a suggestion for an "Enhancement" is either via their website (which can be confusing and difficult) or you can send an email with your suggestion to customer.support@frontrange.com. You can use this for issues (problems) or features (suggestions/requests).

Provide your Company Name and HDA; Customer’s Company Name and HDA (if applicable); Product, Version and Build

For Feature Requests provide:
[Feature Request] -- A summary of your request

[Business reason] -- Business case for the suggested change (how the proposed feature will benefit customers or other stakeholders)

For Issues, please include Environmental information (OS version and service pack; DB version and service pack)

[Steps to Reproduce]

[Expected Results]

[Actual Results]

[Notes]

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

ContactReview.com FAQ's
  ContactReview Forum Index » FAQ