A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » Crystal Reports » Crystal Reports and Goldmine 6.7
Crystal Reports and Goldmine 6.7
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:47 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
goodlookin1
GoldMine Apprentice

Hi,

I was wondering........what is the highest version in Crystal Reports that is still compatible with Goldmine Corporate (SQL edition)? I have heard that it is 9.0, but I wasn't sure.

Thanks,
Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:39 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Depends on what you mean by compatible.

The latest version I've seen able to be run directly from within GoldMine's reports area (under the Crystal reports folder) is 9. However, this doesn't mean you couldn't use 10 or 11 (even the browser based versions) to generate reports against GoldMine's database tables which are, in the end, just more data as far as Crystal is concerned...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 11:36 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
goodlookin1
GoldMine Apprentice

Thanks Doug,

I am not concerned with CR running inside of Goldmine. My main concern is that I can automate and schedule reports to run at night either on our server or on a computer from within the network. I am using CR 8.5 right now, and while it's functionality within the reports is sufficient for us, the ability to automate and schedule reports is lacking.

I am using Stonefield Query to run our automated reports, but I cannot script in stonefield like I can in Crystal.

What is the newest version of CR that can schedule reports to run at certain times?

Thanks for the help.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:15 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Well, I'm not sure about scheduling and whatnot, but Crystal 11 is the latest:

http://www.businessobjects.com/products/reporting/crystalreports/default.asp

There's lots more information there to dig through.

Keep in mind, however, that GoldMine 7 integrates with MSSQL's Reporting Services and includes the ability to schedule reports and such. I don't know if it's on your upgrade roadmap, but it's one of the cool new features of 7 that actually make it attractive (despite the initial problems with the stability of the first couple of builds -- largely solved now with patch 7.0.3) If you don't sync, it's an option you ought to consider before putting cash into the Crystal package...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:25 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
goodlookin1
GoldMine Apprentice

Thanks Doug, that is VERY good to know! We're not even on a SQL edition of GM yet, but that will be changing at the end of this year.....I'll hold my breath for Crystal XI until I can test 8.5's scheduling capabilities in GM7.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:29 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Well, you might be interested in a crystal viewer program I wrote for a customer a while back. It allows you to pass the various database parameters and whatnot to the report via a command line. That coupled with the MS Task Scheduler could probably do the job to get you some reports waiting for you in the morning. Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:03 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
goodlookin1
GoldMine Apprentice

What would you charge for the program you wrote? That sounds like the exact thing we need!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 1:22 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Guess that depends on how long it takes to customize for your situation. It was written for a client using MSSQL, however, I imagine it could be tweaked for dBase. Keep in mind, of course, that with Crystal 8.5 you can make an EXE out of a report. In Crystal 7 it was a very popular feature. In 8.5 they sort of hid it by making you have to download some additional module from their site.. I'm not exactly sure where it is on their site, but you can get it and make an EXE version of your existing report(s). Not to talk myself out of a sale, but..

For Crystal 9, however, this is not an option, as far as I know, so if your reports are in 9 format, we shoudl chat about my addon on the phone...

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:16 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

FYI, John Stillman, lead developer of GoldMine has stated that Crystal 11 will be supported for running from within GoldMine as of the next patch of GoldMine, expected in August...

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738

Crystal Reports and Goldmine 6.7
  ContactReview Forum Index » Crystal Reports