A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition) » Emails did not get copied when doing a Copy/Move Contact
Emails did not get copied when doing a Copy/Move Contact
PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:38 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
neocrm
GoldMine Apprentice

GMPE - 2014.1.0.468

One contact got deleted by mistake, restore database from backup, I can see all history under the history tab but when trying to do a Copy/Move Records from the restored database to the current database, everything copied except emails, both Email-in and Email-out. Tried restoring from different backups but still no emails. I have checked and confirm there is no filter enabled in the History view. I can see emails in other contact records.
I have also tried to create a transfer set from the backup for that record and retrieve into the current database but still missing all the email histories.

Any suggestions will be very much appreciated.

Neo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:08 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Responded in other forum, but, basically, how you restore the database and how you copy the contact are very important to the success.

Typically, I just restore the entire database (contact1, contact2, conthist, contsupp, cal, mailbox, etc. etc.) and use an SQL script to pull in all records related to the contact (accountno) from all the relevant tables.

Perhaps important to note is that the mailbox records probably still exist in your database but they're not linked to the contact or history (or cal) items anymore (via linkrecid, accountno, etc.) and re-linking them is a bit of a science.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:28 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
neocrm
GoldMine Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions Doug. I did restore the complete database and then do the copy/move. I did this many times in the past but this is the first time running into issues.
Do you think rebuilding the database will help?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:37 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

rebuilding will do zero good.

copy/move records, as a function of the goldmine sync menu, is only partially useful for this operation because when you delete a contact, it can sometimes leave behind orphaned conthist and mailbox records -- which is why you're having trouble putting those conthist/mailbox records back (they already exist, they're just no-longer linked to the contact.)

I'd suggest doing this stuff on the back-end, from the SQL side.

Personally, I first delete the mailbox record whose RECID is within the scope of those related to the contact in the restored database. Meaning, I issue a query like this before restoring the records:

Code:
delete from conthist where recid in (select recid from gmrestore.dbo.conthist where ACCOUNTNO='98111966439#!W!&TMat')
delete from mailbox where recid in (select recid from gmrestore.dbo.mailbox where ACCOUNTNO='98111966439#!W!&TMat')
go

Obviously, you'd need to edit this to address the correct database name, use the correct accountno, etc.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:04 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
neocrm
GoldMine Apprentice

Thanks Doug, will give it a try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:06 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

also, keep in mind that the gmtlog and conttlog tables will retain deletion/change tracking for all types of records and could block the restoration of records via the copy/move feature. You'd also want to clear those logs (with whatever degree of careful-ness is necessary, depending on whether or not you have remote sync sites.)

Emails did not get copied when doing a Copy/Move Contact
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition)