A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » Goldbox on 64 bits ?? Goto page 1, 2  Next
Goldbox on 64 bits ??
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:11 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
petrovlis
GoldMine Journeyman

I installed Goldmine 8.5.12 on a new 64 bits computer,and did not realize that Gbox is not working in 64 bits.
I have Gbox7 on an other machine (vista 32 bits)
What are the best options: ??
backup Goldmine from 64 bits ,transfererring to Vista 32 bits computer, restoring GMine there and doing the work and
then backup,transfer and restore on the 64 bits again ?
Computers are in a workgroup,network, wireless.
Or to work with "logmein"or PC anywhere from the 32 bits towards the 64 bits
Or is there an other solution.?
Thanks
William

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:59 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
GoldBoxGodfather
Experienced Miner

At this time, I have no answer. It just seems a tremendous oversight that a 64-bit PC will not run 32-bit programs. Are you sure the 64-bit machine can ONLY run 64-bit programs?

Dave Petonic
Redstone SoftBase Company
www.redstonesoftbase.com
redstone@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:47 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
nc_miami
Experienced Miner

Vista Ultimate 64-bit will run and install 32-bit programs. It auto detects it and installs them in "Program Files (x86)" and even has a separate 32-bit control panel.

However, with all of that said, I can't get goldbox to install on my 64-bit vista either. It just won't run the install exe file. I've even tried installing it using their "Compatability" wizard without success. I get the "run" pop-up and then the next is an error message.

I have a lot of 32-bit programs running on my 64-bit machine but I'm not having any luck whatsoever installing my version of Goldbox, which I desperately need!!!!

Last edited by nc_miami on Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:08 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
nc_miami
Experienced Miner

Hi Petrovlis,

I am running 64-bit Vista Ultimate and I was able to get Goldbox to run.

I was not able do it from the demo insall package but Dave provides a .zip file (http://www.redstonesoftbase.com/zdemogx5.zip) that worked fine. Once I unziped it to my Goldbox directory, I clicked on GX5.exe, and goldbox started the set-up and install process as expected.

Best,

NC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:18 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Perhaps I'm missing it, but GoldBox 5 is not a match for GoldMine 8.x. You may be giving Dave a potential solution, though....I hope...

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:49 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
nc_miami
Experienced Miner

Hi Bob,

For the poster who did not think that he could install a 32-bit program on a 64-bit machine, I wanted to let him know that he can. That it was the install package, not the program itself, that was the problem. I'm sure the later versions of Goldbox will perform similarly.

I don't know what language Goldbox is written in but I wonder if Dave has tried recompiling the installation package on a 64-bit machine? This may bypass the installation issues.

Alas, these are my final days with the forum. I am off to Salesforce.

NC

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:57 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

I figured that's what you meant; just wanted to clarify.

Sorry to learn of your imminent departure. I hope you might stop in a few more times after you've accustomed yourself to SalesForce. I'd be most interested in your reactions and comparisons.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:05 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
nc_miami
Experienced Miner

I certainly will. I can tell you right off that the set-up is a pain. If you are starting fresh, it is fine, but it has been nothing short of a nightmare to transfer nearly 6 years of Goldmine data into salesforce. I suppose if I were on the SQL based version of Goldmine it may have been easier.

I'll keep the forum posted

Best,

Naomi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:15 am Points: 1 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Great. I can tell you that I did a conversion of GM data to SalesForce once, about 8 years ago. I decided then that if anyone ever asked me to do it again, I'd quote $25K. Later, someone asked me to do it again; I backed down. $25K was just too cheap. Tough job.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:05 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
uclancy
n00b

Good Morning,

Has anyone resolved this issue of getting goldbox working on 64 bit?

I have not been able to run the setup file for the demo, i also have a copy of goldbox from another server and it doesnt launch I have added all the exe to the DEP and when i double click on gx7.exe it says registry entry missing or access denied.

i did also try to extract the zip file on your website which said only use if having problems installing

I also copied the manifest files

Its goldmine 851 sql 2008 and windows 2008 .

The last problem is i have copied the ntwdblib.dll into windows system 32 and i still cannot connect to my borland alias

All help is welcomed

Thanks
Una

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:08 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
Taarik
GoldMine Journeyman

Una,

I finally gave up on Server 2008 64-bit. I think the problem is that the 32-bit GoldBox is trying to connect to a 64-bit SQL client, which doesn't work. However, if you place GoldBox on a separate server from the SQL server (32 or 64-bit), it may just work.

For the same client, I loaded GoldBox to a WinXP workstation and it is working fine doing some path changing (running into an issue when I try to limit with SQL query, but works fine otherwise).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:33 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
uclancy
n00b

Thanks Taarik for your reply and sorry for not replying sooner,

I ended up doing the same, I don't think Borland will ever run on a 64 bit, but i was keen to see the makers of Gold box reply to my message, and didn't get a reply, even a note on were redesigning gold box to work with 64 bit might give us some hope. Dave what do you say

Thanks
Una

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:12 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
GoldBoxGodfather
Experienced Miner

The last thing I ever want to do, is to toady up to the Big Monopolistic Mighty Microsoft, who tells us all how to compute their way. And we, of course, must yield to their will. They own it all. MSNBC. Can anyone tell me what a software company is doing owning a news organization? I don't own a news organization - do you? I write flexible software. Which is what they are supposed to do.

As the monopolistic owner of an operating system, you'd think the LEAST Microsoft could do is be decent enough to make it exceedingly easy to run progams in 32 bit - or even 16 bit. Since when is it their right to dictate how many bits we choose to use? It isn't. But they are a monopoly and when they say jump, we cannot wait to blurt out: "How high?".

Still, I'd toady to these Microsoft jackals to provide for my customers - if I could at this time. Whether GoldBox will be in the completely unnecessary 64-bit flavor in the future? I don't know. I am reliant on the folks who make the programming language I use. Or, I'd have to recode in an entirely new environment. By the time I got nice and adept at that - the MS jackals would, I'm sure, change the game yet again.

GoldBox runs fine in 32-bit. In fact, it screams in 32-bit. In fact, I purposely have to SLOW IT DOWN at the Batch Processor, to allow mighty Microsoft to do screen updates.

But, Microsoft has successfully convinced nearly everyone that only Neanderthals might now use 32-bit programming languages and software. How high, Microsoft?

Despite the above rant, I'll be looking to see if there's any feasibility to continuing the GoldBox line in 64-bit. Certainly I'll be shouting that out, if it becomes available.

Take care and happy computing,

Dave Petonic
Redstone SoftBase Company
www.redstonesoftbase.com
redstone@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:17 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
uclancy
n00b

Much Appreciated Dave

thanks for the reply.

Una

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:01 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Taarik
GoldMine Journeyman

We eagerly await news on Server 2008 and 64-bit compatibility. We are all at the mercy of Microsoft at this point, and we understand your pain Dave.

Goldbox on 64 bits ??
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox