A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » If you are using GoldBox to Archive your E-mail....
If you are using GoldBox to Archive your E-mail....
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:04 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

...and if you are doing mass E-mail merges...and if you are having to Archive more often than you like...

This won't affect many people, but I do have a client who is very significantly affected. Here's the scenario:

Client is white-listed and able to do GM E-mail merges to thousands of Contacts at a time. We noticed that the growth of the Mailbox.dbt (it's a dBase install, but this could also affect a SQL install prior to GM 7) was much faster than we expected. The client was UNCHECING the merge option "Save the template text in history", thinking that should help. Well, there are two problems with that:

1. If GoldMine were actually saving the template text to history when that box was checked, then unchecking it wouldn't help with the size of the Mailbox at all. As it turns out, GoldMine never saves the template text to the History table, no matter what options are checked.

2. That particular option doesn't affect whether GoldMine saves the text of the template to the Mailbox table, either. GoldMine DOES save the template text to the RFC822 field in the Mailbox table, no matter what options are checked. This was certainly an unexpected discovery, but it's true.

So, to slow the growth of the Mailbox.dbt, I did the only thing that could be done: I used GoldBox to delete the Sent E-mails of E-mail merges in an automated manner. This tames the very rapid growth of the Mailbox.

Again, GoldMine isn't doing what it claims to do with that option, but that probably won't matter much to those with low to moderate E-mail merge volumes. But if you think this would be beneficial to you, contact me. I'll set up this automated procedure for you for just one hour's billable time, even if you've never been a client of mine. (This does not, of course, include the cost of setting up Archiving itself, or the cost of GoldBox).

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

If you are using GoldBox to Archive your E-mail....
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox