A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » History/Email Archive Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
History/Email Archive
PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:14 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
TPorter2
Awesome Administrator

When we have done History/Email archiving in the past with Goldbox, we had the ability to export those records to a History Archive database. I don't see that feature anymore.

Has the Goldbox History Archive GM+ View taken its place?

I tried following the instructions for that and haven't been successful yet. I am still doing dry runs, don't want to delete the data unless I am sure it can be retrieved.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:54 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Not really sure I understand. Let me try to explain it, and you can ask whatever questions you need....

First, I do recommend that you look at my web site, which has a description of the View involved, and instructions, beginning on

http://www.goldboxbob.com/examples5.html

When GoldBox (any version) is installed, it creates the folder aHistEml which is ready for the "database" of Archived History, E-mail and Links, if you choose to use it. If you use the Archiver, you will be creating (and eventually adding to) three files; they are for History; any associated E-mail; and any Document Links created by GoldMine (from incoming E-mail only, AFAIK). The GoldBox View displays the archived data interactively, based on the current GM record.

Always state the version of GM and GX that you have when posting; it may be that you have a (Basic) version of GX5 or GXSQL that doesn't have Views, and so would not have the Archiving capability.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:14 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
TPorter2
Awesome Administrator

BobTaylor wrote:
Not really sure I understand. Let me try to explain it, and you can ask whatever questions you need....

First, I do recommend that you look at my web site, which has a description of the View involved, and instructions, beginning on

http://www.goldboxbob.com/examples5.html

When GoldBox (any version) is installed, it creates the folder aHistEml which is ready for the "database" of Archived History, E-mail and Links, if you choose to use it. If you use the Archiver, you will be creating (and eventually adding to) three files; they are for History; any associated E-mail; and any Document Links created by GoldMine (from incoming E-mail only, AFAIK). The GoldBox View displays the archived data interactively, based on the current GM record.

Always state the version of GM and GX that you have when posting; it may be that you have a (Basic) version of GX5 or GXSQL that doesn't have Views, and so would not have the Archiving capability.

Thanks, Bob. I have Goldbox 7 and use GM PE 9.0.1.49.

Will take a look at your instructions, appreciated!

I just didn't see the option to export to a history archive database within Goldmine.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:26 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

It's right under the export selection.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:55 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

One more thing: I put a new NOTE down at the bottom of the instructions page.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 12:34 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
TPorter2
Awesome Administrator

BobTaylor wrote:
It's right under the export selection.

I feel really stupid, because I don't see it. I have selected the database I want archived which is GM_Common_odbc.

I see the Archive folder and under that the three databases to be archived.

I don't see anywhere else where a database is referenced in GX7.

Mine is GM_History_Archive.

Help please?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:27 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Could we be having a communications problem?

Are you saying that you already have the three files (History, E-mail and Links) that, together, constitute an archive database?

Or when you use the word "database", are you referring to one or more GoldMine databases?

I'm afraid that we may be tripping over terminology, and not understanding what each other really means,

Why not give me a call; I think that will be the quickest way to solve this. I won't charge you anything (except please post the solution to this thread when we reach it),.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:32 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
TPorter2
Awesome Administrator

BobTaylor wrote:
Could we be having a communications problem?

Are you saying that you already have the three files (History, E-mail and Links) that, together, constitute an archive database?

Or when you use the word "database", are you referring to one or more GoldMine databases?

I'm afraid that we may be tripping over terminology, and not understanding what each other really means,

Why not give me a call; I think that will be the quickest way to solve this. I won't charge you anything (except please post the solution to this thread when we reach it),.

Bob and I straightened this out. Evidently the function I was mentioning hasn't been around for a while. I feel better, thanks, Bob!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:40 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Tell me you got that View working, and everyone will be happy!

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 6:56 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
TPorter2
Awesome Administrator

BobTaylor wrote:
Tell me you got that View working, and everyone will be happy!

OK, everybody can be happy. I got the view working. No data in it, I think because I did a dry run. Now re-running archive without a delete and will see what I get! Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:21 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
TPorter2
Awesome Administrator

I am once again working with archiving of history and email. When I do the export in Goldbox, it does create a dbf file with the old history in it. Can I take that file and make it viewable in SQL as a separate GM database?

Any help would be appreciated.

Goldbox views are not going to get me where I need to be. I need to move all of the history before a specific date to a separate database and delete it out of our main Goldmine database. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:53 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

You could just make a new SQL database and use GoldMine to create an empty contact database via the new database wizard and then issue SQL commands liek this in the SQL management studio:

Code:
insert into conthist select * from your_real_database.dbo.conthist where ondate<='01/01/2005'

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:02 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Terry, let's clarify some things first...

1. It sounds like you want to archive History and E-mail (and presumably Links, too). Is that correct?

2. In your second sentence, you refer to a single dBase file with History in it. If you made the correct selections; and gave GoldBox the names to use for the THREE files that it should create, the export would create those THREE .dbf files. Is something not being done, or not happening?

3. In your last para, you referred to moving history (only). Whatever you are choosing to archive, that will be effectively MOVED by GX when it creates the EXPORT of those records; and then deletes the original. I personally don't use the Delete option that's part of the Archiver...just too scary. I create the tables; look them over; and then create a Global Delete that's run separately.

4. Finally, your comments regarding a new GM database for these records make me wonder if you should be using GX at all for this. Why not create a Group of the records you want out of you production database and Sync Transfer them the new database? Or are you trying to leave the Contacts in production, but not the History, etc? If so...well, I'm not sure I can advise doing that. Maybe your answers to these questions will help.

Bob

TPorter2 wrote:
I am once again working with archiving of history and email. When I do the export in Goldbox, it does create a dbf file with the old history in it. Can I take that file and make it viewable in SQL as a separate GM database?

Goldbox views are not going to get me where I need to be. I need to move all of the history before a specific date to a separate database and delete it out of our main Goldmine database. Thanks!

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:12 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
TPorter2
Awesome Administrator

BobTaylor wrote:
Terry, let's clarify some things first...

1. It sounds like you want to archive History and E-mail (and presumably Links, too). Is that correct?

2. In your second sentence, you refer to a single dBase file with History in it. If you made the correct selections; and gave GoldBox the names to use for the THREE files that it should create, the export would create those THREE .dbf files. Is something not being done, or not happening?

3. In your last para, you referred to moving history (only). Whatever you are choosing to archive, that will be effectively MOVED by GX when it creates the EXPORT of those records; and then deletes the original. I personally don't use the Delete option that's part of the Archiver...just too scary. I create the tables; look them over; and then create a Global Delete that's run separately.

4. Finally, your comments regarding a new GM database for these records make me wonder if you should be using GX at all for this. Why not create a Group of the records you want out of you production database and Sync Transfer them the new database? Or are you trying to leave the Contacts in production, but not the History, etc? If so...well, I'm not sure I can advise doing that. Maybe your answers to these questions will help.

Bob

TPorter2 wrote:

1. Yes

2. I do know Goldbox creates three files. But history is the only one we will ever need to refer back to.

3. You saying a Goldbox function is too scary just scares me. But we have used this before with no issues.

4. We want the contact records, additional contacts, etc to remain. We just want to take out old history including emails and attachments. AND have it someplace where we can look it up if need be. So we want their 2013, 2012 , 2011 ,2010 & 2009 stuff. Just not the stuff older than that.

Thanks for your help, Bob!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:13 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
TPorter2
Awesome Administrator

DougCastell wrote:
You could just make a new SQL database and use GoldMine to create an empty contact database via the new database wizard and then issue SQL commands liek this in the SQL management studio:

Code:
insert into conthist select * from your_real_database.dbo.conthist where ondate<='01/01/2005'

This is one of those times where I wished I knew more about SQL. Because this does sound like a solution. But I still would need to delete from my common database.

Thanks, Doug!

History/Email Archive
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox