A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition) » login timeout expired - goldmine sql login
login timeout expired - goldmine sql login
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:05 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
mesteel
GoldMine Apprentice

hi,

need advise from experts.

i was assigned to install GMPE 2014.2 on a new Win 2012 R2 server and SQL server 2014, which will replace our old server with GMPE 9.0 & SQL 2005.

I installed sql server, goldmine, restored database, everything went on well, with few issues, which I was able to resolve. we have 7 licences.

I installed on all user pc's who will access goldmine.

now the problem is,
whenever any user tries to login, after few seconds, they are prompted with "login timeout expired", and when we say "ok" it takes us to "goldmine sql login" screen. After entering the SQL login details, there is an option to save password, it logs into goldmine and rest all is ok after that.
when we log out and re-login again, the same story is repeated, making it obvious that the "save password" isn't working

I tried disabling AVG and tried, but no luck.

apart from this, there is no other problem whatsoever with the present installation.

but goldmine when is logged on the server, all is good.

can experts here suggest how to rectify this issue....

raj

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:15 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

1. Follow the procedures in this microsoft knowledgebase article to open the windows firewall up to SQL traffic: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968872

2. Make sure TCP/IP and Named Pipes are enabled SQL Server protocols

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:54 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
mesteel
GoldMine Apprentice

DougCastell wrote:
1. Follow the procedures in this microsoft knowledgebase article to open the windows firewall up to SQL traffic: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968872

2. Make sure TCP/IP and Named Pipes are enabled SQL Server protocols

Thank you Doug, but it didn't fix the problem.
We have Windows 2012 R2 and SQL 2014 and
apparently this solution seems to be good for SQL 2008 and Windows 2008.

login timeout expired - goldmine sql login - FIXED
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:09 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
mesteel
GoldMine Apprentice

Hi Doug,

Thank you for the suggestion, your reply gave me an idea to work further and I am able to fix the problem.

Just in case if anyone faces similar problem, here is the solution.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175043.aspx

Raj

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:42 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

good link, thanks!

I tend to tweak the TCP/IP server protocol properties anyway, as a part of my installation process. I guess this article just reinforces what I've been doing for years.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

I have the same issue
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:23 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
jrich7
GoldMine Nut

This describes my issue exactly. To recap:

"Whenever any user tries to login, after few seconds, they are prompted with "login timeout expired", and when we say "ok" it takes us to "goldmine sql login" screen. After entering the SQL login details, there is an option to save password, it logs into goldmine and all is ok after that.
When we log out and re-login again, the same story is repeated, making it obvious that the "save password" isn't working."

I am using Version 2013.1.0.298 and reinstalled it on a new Windows 10 Professional machine with fast components. Goldmine takes forever to open and times out as described in the first post in this thread. Opening firewall ports 1433 & 1434 did not resolve it for me.

Strangely, when I right click and open Goldmine with "Run as Administrator" it opens perfectly and very fast as expected. Yet I have full administrator rights and full control.

Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? Thank you.

Resolved
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:44 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
jrich7
GoldMine Nut

I resolved by uninstalling then reinstalling a clean copy of Goldmine without copying over previous Goldmine files from the old server such as DBalias.ini and GM.ini. The new had conflicting info with the old. This seems to also clean things up a bit from the years of using different versions of Goldmine.
So far so good.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:36 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
cdohmen
Cuckoo for GoldMine Puffs

jrich:

I believe that it was your dbalias.ini and the encrypted password that was listed on the line that starts with:

PASSWORD=" "

I've deleted the value after the "=" sign and then logged in again to repopulate this ini file with the correct encrypted password value.

Good that your more comprehensive solution work as well.

RESOLUTION FOR ME
PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
jrich7
GoldMine Nut

This was a firewall issue for me. An easy way to test if it is a firewall issue is to temporarily turn off the firewall on the Goldmine server. Can the workstations now connect? If so, then you need to work on allowing SQL Server (Express or otherwise) through your firewall. There is a BAT file that will do this for you but be sure to run the BAT file as administrator. I forgot where I found it. There is a link somewhere on this forum. I believe it can be found on Google as well.

However, running the BAT file and opening those ports still did not do the trick for me. My workstations were still not able to connect as described in the first post above.

The solution for me was found in this article:
http://www.mcbsys.com/techblog/2012/12/connect-to-sql-server-2012-express-over-the-network/

In addition to the other open ports for SQL Server I have to make a new Inbound rule to allow this:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\Binn\sqlservr.exe

Then the workstations were able to connect easily and quickly.

As a side note, you should back up your firewall settings before, during and after opening these ports. It's easy to back up and restore your firewall settings or to reset it to Windows default. Just Google it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:57 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

I find turning on the SQL Browser service on the server tends to help as well.

login timeout expired - goldmine sql login
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition)