A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition) » Solving Email Issue
Solving Email Issue
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:45 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

I am trying to determine the best version of GMPE to solve their problem. A client who is a heavy email user is currently on GMPE 2013.1. I recently received the following message from their great Tech Support person

We are moving their e-mail provider from GoDaddy to Office 365. Office 365 provides POP3/SMTP access, but it appears GM 2013 requires a patch or workaround using a program called STUNNEL to consistently send e-mail using the encryption strength Office 365 requires.

Their version of GMPE is not compatible with Office 365. I did tell him about the email settings concerning SSL which might deal with STUNNEL issues. He changed their email settings to include SSL and it still did not work.

I told them that the following versions of GMPE are listed as compatible with Office 365: 2014.1, 2015.1, and 2015.2. They are in the process of renewing their M&S so hat they can upgrade their GMPE.

My question is, what would be the best version of GMPE to deal with their email issues that is mentioned above.

Many thanks Bob Gannett

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:22 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

1. compatibility with versions of office is immaterial to the ability of the e-mail client to communicate with the e-mail server hosted at office365.com.

2. If the IT person entered to correct mail server credentials and set SSL and the correct port, GM 2013.x ought to be able to communicate with that mail server. He missed something.

3. Upgrading GoldMine is going to make no difference here. There have been numerous little fixes in the e-mail area, however, so it would be a good thing to do. It is not the solution, though.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:11 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

Thanks so very much for your great informative response. It help me confirm the actual location of the problem.
Question: Even thought 2013.1 is not rated as compatible with Office 365, should upgrading GM to 2014.1 or any later version that is compatible with Office 365 be considered?

Many thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:36 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

sure, it should be considered, but it's not going to fix the email connectivity/settings issue by itself.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:43 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

Many thanks. He is reworking the settings so hopefully this will get things going. The fact that their 2013.1 is currently using their (bad-news) HF5 which has created some email processing problems, they will have a good justification to upgrade.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:59 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

The IT person has been working to correct the settings at his end. If he is successful, what would be the best version of GM for their upgrade. I suspect the latest version should properly be avoided for just this basic email situation. Some of the earlier versions would be better than his current 2013.1.0.307. Any suggestions concerning the possible best version of GMPE assuming that that they have resolved their email settings?

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:41 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

the latest 2015.2 hotfix is strong and appears to contain no regressions. I confidently install it for any/all of my clients who are upgrading.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:46 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

Thanks for your accurate answer that corrects what some others have stated. I will follow your suggestions.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 10:59 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

well, I don't discount the possibility that someone knows something I don't about these builds...

I use GoldMine daily, myself, and support lots of people who do as well. I haven't heard/seen problems with 2015.2.0.208.

What've you heard?

Solving Email Issue
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition)