A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine Legacy » CAL.DBF in Goldmine 5.5
CAL.DBF in Goldmine 5.5
PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:58 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Apache
GoldMine Journeyman

I have some doubts with cal.dbf in Goldmine 5.5

1. This database is shared by all contact sets. Gmbase directory.

2. If I copy this database to the same directory that contact1.dbf the program will continue using the shared database.

3. If I have two cal.dbf refering to the same contact sets how can I add or merge the two calendars ?

4. The point 3. happen to me a time ago because I install goldmine inside a virtual machine and don't move the old file cal.dbf. So I have two cal.dbf and I need to merge or join both.

Best Regards

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:29 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Paul Laufer
GoldBox Guru

If I were doing this I would look at importing one cal into the other using BR7. Then dedupe based on recid to get rid of dupes. Keep the first or last record depending on which you feel is the best.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:33 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Apache
GoldMine Journeyman

Paul Laufer wrote:
If I were doing this I would look at importing one cal into the other using BR7. Then dedupe based on recid to get rid of dupes. Keep the first or last record depending on which you feel is the best.

Thanks Paul. I finally did one by one refreshing the alarms in my mind and creating again.

I think I did two errors in the past :

1. Suppose than copying the cal.dbf where contact1.dbf is will produce the command for that contact set.

R. At the present moment I am using several contact sets and is an advantage have the alarm information in only one place....

2. Move the cal.dbf to a different location in a virtual machine under windows xp.

R At the present moment I have assumed this will produce problems.

And assuming that windows 8.1 and windows 10 have significant problem with Goldmine 5.5 I have decided execute the program from inside a virtual machine.

So the new alarms are exclusively generated from that virtual machine. In the past I have tried all kind of installations (portable, inside virtual machine)

Goldmine 5.5 have a wonderful simplicity that is obvious will not come back in the future. So I will keep like a real goldmine for the rest of my life.

I am migrating by copying contacts from the original contact set to a new ones.
Probably i will use several months or years.

That will give me the opportunity to remember and reassure.
I will open another post to do this faster.

I need to know how to identifify if any contact in contact1.dbf is part of an organizational chart. I know something of this is written in contsupp.dbf.

Best Regards

P.D. My purpose is edit some fields of goldmine 5.5 with Visual dBASE from Borland...
I am having some problems with this too. I don't understand why I can see the contacts correctly (I use accents, ñ, á, é, í, ó, ú, etc, that are not correctly seen under visual dbase). I have tried with the BDE configuration, with no success.
I am doing replaces in the field key5.
But I need to know when the register belong to an organizational tree and the rest of members be able to locate with dBASE syntax.
I have observ some dBASE syntax from Goldmine is specifical.
By example TRIM(Key5)<"" seems to have sense only in Goldmine. Visual dBASE used empty() or isblank() functions...

I have BR7 but don't manage. I need to learn.

Rolling Eyes

CAL.DBF in Goldmine 5.5
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine Legacy