A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 7 (Corporate Edition) » Populate a Detail Record from a Key Field
Populate a Detail Record from a Key Field
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:13 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
kungfudave
n00b

I have a client who uses Key3 to store info temporarily. At the end of each project, she clears Key3 and starts over. She wants to create a Detail record to track the history of what was stored in Key3. I can use an AP to create the Detail record, but is there a way to populate the Detail reference with the value from Key3 as part of the AP? I built a macro that accomplished what I wanted, but couldn't launch it from the AP. Thanks for any ideas on this.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:38 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

GoldBox could easily do that, but I'm wondering: why not use the built-in GoldMine feature, Log Changes in History? It's a checkbox at the bottom of the Security tab page, under Field Properties.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:41 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

If my understanding of your question is correct, Bob Taylor nailed it with two of the best answers.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:48 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
kungfudave
n00b

Thanks, those are both great ideas but she doesn't wanna buy GoldBox, and the history record doesn't quite capture everything. In the Detail record, the reference would be filled in with the value that was in Key3. The first detail field is also used, it gets populated with the data from Key5. Then on the tab which contains these records, it shows the date, the ref and the first field in a nice clean way for her. I was considering doing up something outside the system in SQL or even a little MS Access app, but was hoping there might be an easier solution from within Goldmine.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:21 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

I don't know what you charge per hour but I bet the use of GoldBox would be less expensive than building a customized program. Also, look at the features list for GoldBox and you will find that it provides soooo many other functions. The reason I love GoldBox is because I am not a programmer yet GoldBox lets me do things with GoldMine that would require a programmer if you did not use GoldBox.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:27 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
Deborah
Obsessive GoldMiner

I agree with the Bobs. If a client requires any customizing of data management outside of a lookup.ini, they need to have GoldBox. It is $395 with free updates. In fact, I include a quote for GoldBox with any GoldMine software quote I do because the value is tremendous.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:41 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Thanks, Deborah and Bob G. In the interest of accuracy, let me note that there are currently 3 versions of GoldBox:

GoldBox 5 - This is only for (obsolete) dBase versions of GoldMine, from 5.0 to 6.7 inclusive. It's offered two ways: Professional, which is $595; and Basic, which is $295. What you are interested in doing can be accomplished with Basic.

GXSQL - This covers the same versions of GoldMine (except that it covers the CE versions, hosted in MSSQL); at the same prices, with the same capabilities.

GoldBox 7 - This covers GoldMine versions 7.0 through 8.03 (and soon, through 8.5). Price of $395 is lower than the older versions (lower cost because there is only one code base, for SQL, equiv to Pro version). There is no Basic offering.

There were also GoldBox versions for earlier versions of GoldMine (ver 4.0 and also earlier versions), but they are no longer offered. For full details, see the website, www.redstonesoftbase.com

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:50 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
kungfudave
n00b

I'll look into GoldBox and see if she's willing to go that route...Thanks for all the info!

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 10:45 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bsncp
Experienced Miner

Thanks, Doug. We will give that a shot. Can I assume we can restore from backup if this didn't work? My MIS guy will be nervous unless he has that as a safety net. His SQL skills are still somewhat limited.

Goldmine 8.5.2.8

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:35 pm Points: 1 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

Quote:
My MIS guy will be nervous unless he has that as a safety net. His SQL skills are still somewhat limited.

Anyone dealing with GoldMine and SQL who is not nervous unless he has adequate backups, should not be in this business.

Populate a Detail Record from a Key Field
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 7 (Corporate Edition)