A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition) » Cannot open database "Goldmine' requested by the login. Goto page Previous  1, 2
Compatibility
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:41 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
jrich7
GoldMine Nut

I do not know how to make an ODBC connection. I am able to Connect to Server using Management Studio, though.

"Run as Administrator" settings for the GM shortcut changes nothing so I changed them back to default.

Yes, the logs show "Starting up database "Goldmine" every 60 seconds or so. Like an endless loop.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:58 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
jrich7
GoldMine Nut

Saw this article about databases restarting frequently but I am not sure how to run a script:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/5fd99e20-e89b-4fd6-a792-15601a070932/some-databases-keeps-restarting

this can happen if the "auto close" option for a database is set to "on".

You can check & change it with following script:

SELECT name, is_auto_close_on

FROM sys.databases

USE [master]

GO

ALTER DATABASE [Northwind]

SET AUTO_CLOSE OFF WITH NO_WAIT

GO

ALTER DATABASE [Northwind]

SET AUTO_CLOSE OFF

GO

Another link
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:06 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
jrich7
GoldMine Nut

http://serverfault.com/questions/147163/sql-server-database-constantly-restarting

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:07 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

was auto-close set ON by default or did you change it at some point?

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Auto Close = bad practice
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:35 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
jrich7
GoldMine Nut

The database was set to Auto Close. I turned off Auto Close. I am guessing this may solve this issue. If not at least it will solve the issue of the database restarting continually and filling logs.

Check out this awesome article that show how to check whether or not your database is set to Auto Close and why it is a bad practice to have it set to Auto Close. Also it explains how a database gets that setting.

http://sqlmag.com/blog/worst-practice-allowing-autoclose-sql-server-databases

"Accordingly, while AutoClose may seem like it makes a lot of sense, it can actually cause performance problems – to the point where it’s among the first-things I’ll check when troubleshooting performance for clients.

Likewise, I’m also not a fan of the fact that when AutoClose is on you’ll start to see potentially gobs of SQL Server log entries to the tune of “Starting up database <dbnamehere>”.

"How Do Databases Get Set to AutoClose?

By default, databases created by SQL Server aren’t set to AutoClose by default (unless your model database has been explicitly set to enable AutoClose). But, databases that may have been ‘upsized’ from SQL Server 2000 MSDE instances and databases created on SQL Server Express are set to AutoClose by DEFAULT."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:47 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Hmm, good info, thanks for the follow-up. I wouldn't doubt that someone who restored a database backup from sql 2000 msde and had that turned on (or someone fiddling with options and trying stuff out trying to tune performance) will eventually come across this and find some help.

How's your situation now?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Issue resolved
PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:30 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
jrich7
GoldMine Nut

After a day or so I can report that this issue seems to be resolved. Solution was turning off Auto-Close per this article. (Thanks Doug for putting me on the right trail to this mystery)

http://sqlmag.com/blog/worst-practice-allowing-autoclose-sql-server-databases

Not sure why Auto-Close being enabled would cause the error in my first post but it apparently did somehow. I think it had something also to do with logs being populated every 60 seconds or so. Not sure. I learned a lot from this. I also learned that the change will not take effect until you restart the service.

By the way I had another database listed which also had Auto-Close turned on which was populating the log file too so I disabled Auto-Close on it too. So it is a good idea to check all your databases. The database is called

ReportServer$SQLEXPRESSTempDB

and another one is called

ReportServer$SQLEXPRESS

I assume these are necessary? Not sure what they are for regarding Goldmine. Maybe Reports?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:38 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Report server is basically a whole 'nother set of services provided by MSSQL. The report server stuff doesn't really need to be running (or even installed) for 98% of GoldMine users.

I've seen very few GoldMine users do anything with SQL reporting services. In your case, I'd say leave well-enough alone, but if you wanted to turn off/disable the SQL Reporting services, it won't hurt anything in your GoldMine.

Gratitude
PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:39 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
jrich7
GoldMine Nut

Thanks again Doug!

Cannot open database "Goldmine' requested by the login.
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition)