A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » Trouble importing from a DBASE file
Trouble importing from a DBASE file
PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:24 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
yourwishismine
n00b

I am trying to import a DBASE file with 3 fields: ACCOUNTNO, ONDATE and USERID. The only data that I want to be imported is coming from the ONDATE field. The ONDATE field is supposed to import into one of the following 3 fields: uamscdate, ubcslcdate or ubescdate. I am using the following 3 Update expressions to determine what field to put the ONDATE data in.

in the uamscdate I use: IIF(Lstcnupd->Userid==GXI->Uamssign,IIF(Lstcnupd->Ondate > GXI->Uamscdate,Lstcnupd->Ondate,GXI->Uamscdate),GXI->Uamscdate)

in the ubcslcdate I use: IIF(Lstcnupd->Userid==GXI->Ubcssign,IIF(Lstcnupd->Ondate > GXI->Ubcslcdate,Lstcnupd->Ondate,GXI->Ubcslcdate),GXI->Ubcslcdate)

in the ubescdate I use: IIF(Lstcnupd->Userid==GXI->Ubessign,IIF(Lstcnupd->Ondate > GXI->Ubescdate,Lstcnupd->Ondate,GXI->Ubescdate),GXI->Ubescdate)

As you can see I'm trying to only update the field if the date is more recent than the date currently in the field. However it is not working. There are later dates in the incoming file, but it is still not updating the GoldMine database. Please help. Thank you.

yourwishismine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:21 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

What is the reason for your using the double equals?

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 5:57 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
yourwishismine
n00b

BobTaylor wrote:
What is the reason for your using the double equals?

Ondate should only replace Uamscdate if the field, Userid, from the incoming record, matches the GoldMine database field, Uamssign.

Ondate should only replace Ubcslcdate if the field, Userid, from the incoming record, matches the GoldMine database field, Ubcssign.

Ondate should only replace Ubescdate if the field, Userid, from the incoming record, matches the GoldMine database field, Ubessign.

Sorry, I forgot to explain that part. I do have some screen shots from the GoldBox import setup, but I'm not sure how to post them here.

yourwishismine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:01 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

I think you missed my meaning. Have you tried it using single equals, instead?

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:09 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
yourwishismine
n00b

BobTaylor wrote:
I think you missed my meaning. Have you tried it using single equals, instead?

1st, thank you for your assistance with this. Ok I tried it with the single = and then it didn't update any of the fields. So I left it with the single = and moved the expressions from the UPDATE EXPRESSIONS sections to the EXPN sections and ran it again.. this time it updated the fields, but it's as if it ignored the expressions all together as it put the dates in all 3 of the fields... uamscdate, ubcslcdate and ubescdate... that really confused me??? Any ideas???

yourwishismine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:03 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
GoldBoxGodfather
Experienced Miner

On Update expressions:

When they are evaluated, the Source dBase table is CLOSED. All of the data from the Source is now in GXI.DBF (the "parked" data), and so your Blue update expressions can only reference what is in GXI, and what is in the matched GoldMine record.

You should map the USERID field to that udef field, but then SHIELD it, so it never updates the field in GoldMine. In that way, the Source's USERID field is now in GXI and you can use it for evaluation.

Dave Petonic
Redstone SoftBase Company
www.redstonesoftbase.com
redstone@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:54 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
yourwishismine
n00b

GoldBoxGodfather wrote:
On Update expressions:

When they are evaluated, the Source dBase table is CLOSED. All of the data from the Source is now in GXI.DBF (the "parked" data), and so your Blue update expressions can only reference what is in GXI, and what is in the matched GoldMine record.

You should map the USERID field to that udef field, but then SHIELD it, so it never updates the field in GoldMine. In that way, the Source's USERID field is now in GXI and you can use it for evaluation.

Dave, thank you for your reply... I'm not sure if I understand it though. On the IMPORT/UPDATE I have the following set at my SOURCE and TARGET.

SOURCE: c:\goldbox7\lstcnupd.dbf
TARGET: GM8_MAIN_ORIG

And I totally don't get what Park / Stop, Quik Park and Parked mean???

Also if I used SHIELD (which says 'Never update target field on a match') will my expression still be able to update the field regardless???

Thank you again for your help

EDIT:
Based on what I think I understood about your information, I moved the expressions back to the Blue UPDATE EXPRESSIONS box and shielded all the match fields. Then I changed my expressions as follows:
Uamscdate: IIF(Lstcnupd->Userid=Tgt->Uamssign,IIF(Lstcnupd->Ondate>Tgt->Uamscdate,Lstcnupd->Ondate,Tgt->Uamscdate),Tgt->Uamscdate)

Ubcslcdate: IIF(Lstcnupd->Userid=Tgt->Ubcssign,IIF(Lstcnupd->Ondate>Tgt->Ubcslcdate,Lstcnupd->Ondate,Tgt->Ubcslcdate),Tgt->Ubcslcdate)

Ubescdate: IIF(Lstcnupd->Userid=Tgt->Ubessign,IIF(Lstcnupd->Ondate>Tgt->Ubescdate,Lstcnupd->Ondate,Tgt->Ubescdate),Tgt->Ubescdate)

Unfortunately, it is still updating 0 fields. Even though the GoldMine fields: Uamscdate, Ubcslcdate and Ubescdate are all blank now so it should be updating some fields.

yourwishismine

Trouble importing from a DBASE file
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox