A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition) » Preview Pane Screenshot Goto page 1, 2  Next
Preview Pane Screenshot
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:14 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
TPorter2
Awesome Administrator

We are moving later this month to 8.5, and one of the most visible changes is the preview pane. Does anyone have a screenshot of this feature that I could use in our in-house training? I looked for one on Front Range's site with no luck.

Thanks!

Re: Preview Pane Screenshot
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:34 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
automationstation
Sensei of the GoldMine

TPorter2 wrote:
We are moving later this month to 8.5, and one of the most visible changes is the preview pane. Does anyone have a screenshot of this feature that I could use in our in-house training? I looked for one on Front Range's site with no luck.

Thanks!

What are you specifically looking for?... just let me know and I can screen shoot it and send it to you.

Phone: (651)248-3191

Re: Preview Pane Screenshot
PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:12 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
TPorter2
Awesome Administrator

automationstation wrote:
TPorter2 wrote:

Thanks!

What are you specifically looking for?... just let me know and I can screen shoot it and send it to you.

I guess specifically would be the preview pane used in the history tab, that is where I think we will find it most useful. Hard to know since we aren't up on 8.5 yet. An image that could be included in an email or a PowerPoint presentation. Thanks much!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:43 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
cdohmen
Cuckoo for GoldMine Puffs

Version 9.0 is getting very close to being released so I would use it for your baseline when it comes to (new/improved) features. You can get an excelllent idea of what to expect by viewing this webinar.

https://frontrange.webex.com/ec0600l/eventcenter/recording/recordAction.do?theAction=poprecord&actname=%2Feventcenter%2Fframe%2Fg.do&apiname=lsr.php&renewticket=0&renewticket=0&actappname=ec0600l&entappname=url0106l&needFilter=false&&isurlact=true&entactname=%2FnbrRecordingURL.do&rID=3704642&rKey=2b742fd0b3923ffa&recordID=3704642&rnd=8512009453&siteurl=frontrange&SP=EC&AT=pb&format=short

PS: GMPE v8.5x has serious problems with Crystal reports so if you use that reporting solution then I would wait until v9.0.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 1:48 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Send me a E-mail and I'll be glad to send you a screenshot of the Preview screen showing an Estimate from QuickBooks in GoldMine History. Looks pretty sharp. Instead of reinventing the wheel, however, I can sell you Training Videos for GoldMine Premium 8.0 & 8.5, Basic & Advanced.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:44 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

cdohmen - What serious problems does 8.5 have with Cristal Reports? Does GM 9 correct these problems?

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:13 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
cdohmen

Bob:

I've posted this several time and have a incident report open with FRS. With the advent of v8.5x you can no longer use ODBC connections (I use File DSNs) with the SQL Native client driver. v8.5x only supports the older SQL driver and System DSNs only.

This combination when used from within Goldmine using the FRS supplied Crystal 11 Runtime results in incomplete data (dropped records) in reports.

I found this out by comparing the same template running in Goldmine (System DSN, old SQL Driver, Crystal 11 runtime) vs running it from the Crystal Designer (File DSN, SQL Native Client driver).

I originally submitted this problem with FRS on 7/30/2009 (Incident # 22631931)

FrontRange has promised a solution in v9.0.

I would not rely on the Crystal runtime setup this way until it's fixed. This has prevented me from upgrading nearly 180 users to v8.5x. The one small group I did upgrade (where I found the problem) has to run all of their Crystal reports from the Crystal designer. Too cost prohibitive to do that for 180 people.

Hope that helps.

PS everything runs fine in v8.03 then they broke it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:28 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Quote:
no longer use ODBC connections (I use File DSNs) with the SQL Native client driver.

Could you clear up what you mean here? These seem like mutually exclusive things, to me.

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:46 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
cdohmen

Doug

When you setup a ODBC Data Source Name (DSN) you have to choose a SQL driver. Historically I've used File DSNs (per a recommendation from Andrea Domingez) and I have always picked the SQL Native Client driver since moving to SQL 2005.

With the advent of v8.5.x you are forced to create System DSNs and only the older MS SQL driver can be used. The SQL Native client driver can't be used because GMPE will not recognize it and make it available in the dropdown box when you are defining your Crystal DSN credentials in the Reports Center.

My incident report with FRS should solve two things in v9.0. 1. The SQL Native Client can be used for ODBC DSNs 2. You'll once again be able to type in any DSN name you choose with being forced to use the dropdown. This is how it use to be in v8.03 & prior.

CD

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:27 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Do not delude yourself Obi Wan, you are using OLE-DB as opposed to ODBC, either of which you can use when creating you File or System DSN. Both are acceptable ConnectionStrings.

www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:53 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
cdohmen

From the Crystal designer it's an ODBC (RDO) connection. OLE DB is a seperate choice so I beg to differ.

BTW I was asked a question, then answered it as a curtously to Bob and Dave. The off color stuff is unwelcome and unecessary in my opinion. Just trying to move the ball forward like everyone else.

Always thought the line was "Oh great and powerful Oz" instead of DJ must have been wrong on that as well. Touche'

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:57 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

CD - Thank you for your help. I appreciate your comments and assistance.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:54 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Tsk! Tsk! Tsk!

You take everything too seriously Chris. You yourself said, and I quote
Quote:
I have always picked the SQL Native Client driver since moving to SQL 2005.

The SQL Native Client driver is an OLE DB driver as opposed to the SQL Server driver which is ODBC. So yes you are in the ODBC Data Source Administrator when you are creating your DSN, but you are still using OLE DB based on your own words.

www.DJHunt.US

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:34 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
cdohmen

The SQL Native Client has a OLE DB version and an ODBC version.

http://www.connectionstrings.com/sql-server-2005#p111

Personally I don't care as long as the DSN works within the GMPE Reports Center interface and in v8.50 FRS dropped the ball and it needs fixed.

I'll stand behind my previous reply btw. A customer no less hmmm

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:16 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Andrea Dominguez
n00b

i have never really been wild about launching crystal from within Goldmine - it is such a pain in the tuchas to me.

I am currently using Crystal Visual Advantage (which is 12) and what I would do for CR11 is write my own viewer and go back to using file dsn's. I wrote my viewer in aspx and I have it hosted on my internal iis box and i use shortcuts to launch the reports. works flawless every single time and better yet, it allows me to provide data to other dept without having to create a Goldmine login for them.

Preview Pane Screenshot
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition)