A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » Problem with Global Replace User Name in History Activities Goto page 1, 2  Next
Problem with Global Replace User Name in History Activities
PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:46 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
duggoodwin
GoldMine Apprentice

I was wondering if you've ever come accross this issue.
We've adopted a new user name format. In Goldbox, I ran a global replace to change the user names in history entries to the new user name. Once completed, I could see the user names were changed in the history tab. However, if I right click/edit the history entry, the "user" name in the edit window is blank. This prevents the appropriate user from accessing history entries that belong to them.
In Goldbox, I used the optional filter of this:
Tgthst->Userid="BRIANH"
The "Replace #1" expression is this
Tgthst->Userid 'Sales28'

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
We're using Goldmine 6.7 Corp on SQL database.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:09 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

In the Global Replace, there are two screens for Replace #1 (and also for all the others):

a. The first screen that appears should be populated with the field you want to replace; in this case, that would be TgtHst->Userid

b. The second screen should be the value (whether hard value or expression) that you want to use to replace in that field. Apparently, that would be "Sales28"

That, together with your filter, should get the job done.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:59 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
duggoodwin
GoldMine Apprentice

Bob,

Thanks for your reply. In my previous post, I wasn't very clear in what I used as an expression. I posted Tgthst->Userid 'Sales28' as the expression I used. However, I did use Tgthst->Userid in the first screen and 'Sales28' in the second screen. Looking at the history tab, it appears that the function was successful because the new user name shows in the user column. Still, the users are not able to access their notes in the entries so, (while logged in as a master rights user), I right clicked on the history entry and selected edit. In the edit window, the user name is blank. I manually changed it to the proper user, and now it works. Unfortunately, there are thousands of entries that have this problem and I need a function that will fix them all.

One thought I had was that filter I used had double "quotation marks" around the user name and the expression had 'single quotation marks'. I ran it again using double quotation marks on both the expression and the filter. Still no luck.
Then I created a new test user in GM (Sales40) and changed the history entries' user name to it (Sales40), then back to Sales28 using the double quotation method. Still no luck.

Any suggestions? I'm using Goldbox - SQL Basic Edition 2010A

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 8:22 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Well, either single or double quotes will work, as long as you don't mix them.

What version of GoldMine? (Best to always post this, and version of GoldBox, for each thread).

If your version of GoldMine and GoldBox match, then the next thing I'd question would be the BDE Alias or database selection. That is, if you have recently installed GoldBox, and have not used it for other global editing. What you've told me about what you are doing SHOULD be working, unless there is some sort of installation problem. But just for grins, why not post your filter, too.

Or better yet, the LifeRing text.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:28 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Are these MAIL items in history? If so, it's not enough to just change the HISTORY item, but you will also need to make sure the USERID is changed in the MAILBOX record associated with it.

Just throwing that out there. Hope it's relevant. Wink

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:56 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Good point, thanks Doug.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:08 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
duggoodwin
GoldMine Apprentice

Bob

What version of GoldMine? (Best to always post this, and version of GoldBox, for each thread). We are using Goldmine 6.70.41114 Corp on SQL server and Goldbox - SQL Basic Edition 2010A. Should be a match

I the next thing I'd question would be the BDE Alias or database selection. That is, if you have recently installed GoldBox, and have not used it for other global editing.
What suggestions do you have for BDE Alias? Goldbox was installed around the same time as Goldmine. My project is somewhat unique. The company I work for was using 35 individual local installs of Goldmine, non of which were networked. My task has been to merge these 35 databases (via transfersets) into a single network. Goldbox was installed before these transferset were synced but I haven't used Goldbox for any global changes before now.

What you've told me about what you are doing SHOULD be working, unless there is some sort of installation problem. But just for grins, why not post your filter, too.
Do you mean the Global Replace filter? Tgthst->Userid="BRIANH"

Or better yet, the LifeRing text.What's a LifeRing text?

Doug,
The history entries are not Mailbox related. We don't use the Goldmine Mail Client

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 1:25 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

LifeRing is s text summary of the setup. There's a button (blue background, life preserver) on the right side of the screen. Press it and copy what it produces to a post. Easy way to share info.

One test for the BDE is to run a query from the Query menu.

Query | Any Database with a BDE Alias Then select your BDE Alias from the list. Then select the Conthist.dbo table. Accept the default query and press the Result button. What do you get?

Yes, you do have the correct version of GoldBox.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:04 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
duggoodwin
GoldMine Apprentice

LifeRing is s text summary of the setup. There's a button (blue background, life preserver) on the right side of the screen. Press it and copy what it produces to a post. Easy way to share info.
WINDOWS System: Windows NT version 5.01
FREE DiskSpace: 8,121.692 Megabytes
B D E Version: 5.1.1.1
Folder: g:\setup\bdeshare\idapi32.cfg
GOLDMINE Versn: 6
Exe: g:
GMbase: GOLDMINE
User: SALES1
Sync: ON
GXSQL Version: 2010-A
Folder: c:\gxsql
Serial #: 6Q600658
Licensee: [private]

OPERATION: GLOBAL REPLACE
Category: HISTORY
Description: Change User Name in History
Launch ID: REUSERHISNAM

CONTACT FILE: GoldMine
FILTER: Tgthst->Userid="BRIANH"
SUPP RECD TYPE:
SUPP CONTACT:
FIELD 1: Tgthst->Userid
EXPRESSION 1: 'Sales28'
FIELD 2:
EXPRESSION 2:
FIELD 3:
EXPRESSION 3:
FIELD 4:

One test for the BDE is to run a query from the Query menu.

Query | Any Database with a BDE Alias Then select your BDE Alias from the list. Then select the Conthist.dbo table. Accept the default query and press the Result button. What do you get?

Not sure what you mean. I know of the BDE admin, but it has no query menu. I also know of the SQL Query Analyzer but it usually uses specific scripts to run queries.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:27 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

While I'm thinking about it, please use a non-pastel color for your quotes; that light blue is something I can't read, without highlighting....

No problem with your LifeRing; but is SALES1 a GoldMine Master User? Not sure if that would do it, if it isn't; but GoldBox does like to use a Master User.

GoldBox has its own query analyzer, the Query selection on its menu. Follow the directions I gave you there, and let me know.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:11 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
duggoodwin
GoldMine Apprentice

I ran the query. It took a while but I got the result which is a list of over 200,000 entries. What should I do with thi info?

Last edited by duggoodwin on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:19 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Let's try a different query (we don't know how many records are in your conthist table). Use the query

Select * from Conthist where 1=2

This should immediately give you a result consisting of the fieldnames in the table, but no record. Does it?

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:32 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
duggoodwin
GoldMine Apprentice

After my previous post about the Goldbox crash, I tried it one more time and got a different result.
It took a while but I got the result which is a list of over 200,000 entries. What should I do with this info?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:47 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

OK, that sounds like it's actually running the query; just slowly. So patience will be required. When you ran your Global Replace earlier, you gave up on it? It takes GoldBox longer to run queries than SQL or GoldMine, because GoldBox inserts its result set into a dBase table. Very handy in lots of ways, but it does require extra time.

Things to check: open the BDE (you can do this from within GoldBox under Utilities; or from GoldMine under Tools). Now, take a look at a page on the GoldBox (Redstonesoftbase) site: http://www.redstonesoftbase.com/index_000014.htm

There are several settings you need to look at; even one of them out of spec can cause problems. Please post back with any changes you made, as well as how your testing is going afterwards.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:06 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
duggoodwin
GoldMine Apprentice

I got with our administrator on the BDE adjustments. Only a few tweaks applied to our system. We are using MS SQL Server 2000. I testing the Goldbox Global Replace again and still no luck.
Any other suggestions?

Problem with Global Replace User Name in History Activities
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox