A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » Feature Request: Select Columns for Merge/Purge Merge Screen
Feature Request: Select Columns for Merge/Purge Merge Screen
PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:58 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
davidshq
GoldMine Journeyman

I really like the Merge/Purge functionality in GoldBox but when I am looking at results to compare them it is time consuming to have to scroll through all the columns to see if the columns I care about match up. It would be really cool if we could choose what columns showed for comparison or perhaps if the ones we considered most important rose to the top. =) Just a thought.
Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:31 am Points: 1 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Dave, just to make sure that we are talking about the same things, here is what I believe you are saying: when viewing the Merge-Purge Primer Table, you would like to be able to pick the columns that are included (or at least to be able to suppress any columns that are not important to you); and also be able to select the order of the columns that you do want displayed. Is that correct? If you'll comment on this, that would be helpful.

I didn't quite understand what you meant when you referred to "rise to the top". Also, have you tried the Anchor button at the top left of the display's "tool bar"? And have you tried moving entire columns to the left or right? I am hesitant to even mention that last one, because it doesn't always work very well; but I think it is the kind of thing you mean. Also, it is not sticky from one session to another.

Anyway, the clearer we are about what you want, the easier it will be for Dave Petonic to reply.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:54 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
davidshq
GoldMine Journeyman

Bob - Yes, you exactly describe what I want to accomplish. I have not tried the anchor button, I'll give that a try as well.
Dave

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:29 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

OK, and I'll ask Dave to take a look at your request.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 9:34 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Well, this must be my day to bounce back and forth between Daves!

I just talked with Dave Petonic, and we agreed that the best way to do this is not to try to enhance what you see when you open the M-P Primer Table directly; but rather to create a GoldBox View of that table (the real name of which is Duprimer). There are a couple of reasons:

1. To try to set up interfaces to allow you to select the fields to be displayed, and their order, when the Duprimer table is being generated (which of itself is already a complicated bit of programming) would just be too much custom programming. The whole thing might be a challenge to keep stable.

2. GoldBox already has an outstanding vehicle for custom programming, GoldBox Views, which would be perfect for this kind of thing.

I am going to construct a View this weekend that will, by default, query and display exactly what exists in the Duprimer Table. It will come with a Post operation that will update the Duprimer table with any changes that are made to the data in the View. So far, that's just an overlay of the original table, giving you no customization.

But to get exactly what you want, all you need to do is modify the View. The interfaces to select/de-select fields; and to rearrange them; already exist within the View. As do all sorts of color/font and other options. This gives you a fully-customizable surrogate of the Merge-Purge Primer Table. And, because you will be required to Post every time you close the View, the existing capability of editing the M-Primer Table when time is available will be preserved.

Although I'll be happy to send you a setup zip file of the View, I'd recommend that you let me install and modify it to your specifications. Should only take about an hour and you could participate and learn while I do it. Either way, let me know! Also, I believe that your GoldBox version is 7, but please confirm that.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 6:20 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

David, did you consider the View I created because of your post?

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:21 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
davidshq
GoldMine Journeyman

Bob - Sorry for the long delay in response. For some reason I didn't get an email reply notifying me you had responded. I'd love to take a look at the GoldBox View. We are actually running GM 9 PE. I really need to learn this GoldBox Views, I haven't worked with them yet...
Dave.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:36 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

OK, do you want me to just send you the setup package for the View and its Post operation? Or do you want us to work together on it? Either way, I'll need your E-mail Address and some basic contact data about you. You can send it to me via the address shown on my Profile, or post it, if you prefer.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:39 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

David, because you didn't get the notice E-mail the last time, I thought I'd send a second rely...

www.goldboxbob.com

Feature Request: Select Columns for Merge/Purge Merge Screen
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox