A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 7 (Corporate Edition) » How do I roll back from 7.51 to 6.7?
How do I roll back from 7.51 to 6.7?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:42 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
guero
Experienced Miner

Hello - I am DBA/Admin for a Goldmine CE install with 40 concurrent users. We just ran an upgrade to 7.51.80827 from 6.70.50123 and then discovered that none of our automated processes were functioning properly. From looking at the forums and calling Front Range we confirmed that this was a known issue and Front Range had not provided a fix to 7.51 users, though they apparently fixed it in GMPE 8.03

This is a show stopper for us as we have well over a hundred A/Ps used by staff across our company and I have no choice but to roll back the install.

We have backups from prior to the upgrade and have successfully created a transfer set of all changes since then. My question - and it's a big one - is whether there is a known, best practice approach for rolling back, and especially for migrating the transfer set from 7.51 back to a restored copy of 6.7. Time is of the essence as I have sales staff and others dead in the water - Evil or Very Mad - any help is tremendously appreciated!!! Thank you very much for any help you can provide.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:02 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Did you also move to SQL 2005 at the same time? What, exactly, is the nature of the issue with your APs?

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:29 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
guero
Experienced Miner

No, we remain on SQL 2000 running over Win 2K server.

The AP problems are that events fail to fire when running the automated process on a filtered set of contacts and attaching a track, however they do fire when scanning a single contact. We believe this is related to the bug reported earlier on the frontrange forums where the upgrade resulted in events being triggered in the order they were created versus in the order specified in the AP itself.

I just talked with Jim Jenkins and tried out the fix referenced by him in the frontrange forum post - created a non-unique, clustered index on Eventno Ascending, Trackno ascending in TRACKS. I had a user log out, then back in again, no change in behavior, the process still fails to fire events.

I haven't tried reindexing the TRACKS table, if that possibly makes a difference I will consider but at this time I am running out of options. If I can't get the A/Ps to work we have to roll back, and I am hoping to get some guidance on how to successfully transfer changed items from the transfer set in 7.5 back to 6.7.

Thank you, and I am happy to provide any more info as needed.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:59 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

I have rolled three clients back to 6.7 from GM 7 and PE 8.03.

A lot depends on how long you have been on GM 7 and how much data has been entered sinch your upgrade. If you create a transfer set from GM 7, you will not be able to retrieve that transfer set in GM 6.7. What we did was (1) export the new Contact1, Contact2, and email/url addresses data from the upgraded GM then import that data back into 6.7. Concerning History and calendar activities, you can either send that data (SQL Query) to excell spreadsheet then manually import it into 6.7; or you can use GoldBox or Inaport to export the data and import it back into 6.7. If emails are involved, you can forward the emails from your GM 7 then bring them back into 6.7 and link them to the appropriate contact.

All this can be a lot of work depending on how long you have been on GM 7. Once back to 6.7 you should consider upgrading to GMPE.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:01 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

No, that 'wrong order' thing is not related. That's an SQL 2005 bug, not a GoldMine-version bug. That's why I asked if you'd also gone to 2005. The good news is that your new index would keep you from experiencing the problem if you were to go to 2005.

As for the issue you're experiencing in 7.5, the more details, the better. What's the condition on the next event for the contacts for whom they're not firing? Immediate? dBase condition?

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:27 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
guero
Experienced Miner

Thank you for both of your replies. In response to the first one:

We went live with 7.5 this past Sunday 4/19. So at this point we have about two and 1/2 days of data. I am interested to know how you exported and imported the Contact table data - using DTS? Also - how did you handle changes as opposed to new records?

I also see Goldmine has an XML export utility. Has anyone used this in connection with a rollback and is it recommended?

We have a tool (Anvil) that we can use to read data from excel and write to Goldmine, so that approach which was used for the transaction tables would work for us. I still don't understand though why two different methods were used - or was excel the only appropriate tool for exporting the transactional table data?

I will post shortly on Doug's questions, but wanted to get this one up right away as time is growing short.

How do I roll back from 7.51 to 6.7?
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 7 (Corporate Edition)