A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » SQL Query Prompting for Input
SQL Query Prompting for Input
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:20 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
voncorp
GoldMine Apprentice

I was wondering if there was a way to get a SQL query in Goldbox to prompt for a value for a query within a Goldbox function. (Specifically the Notes Migrator)

A little explanation: We have been bad with notes in a lot of places, but there are enough situations where we have handled Notes correctly, and it is important information, that I do not want to do a global notes migration. So I have set up a couple queries to let me periodically do a handful based on company name, or individually based on contact name for those that I find that need to be migrated. The only problem is it is a little clunky to have to manually edit the SQL query every time (and remember to include apostrophes on either end) I do another company.

Thanks for any advice!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:48 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

My answer is going to be "no" (it's one of those things about which reasonable people can disagree). Always include your GoldMine and GoldBox versions when posting.

If you have GXSQL, you could use the Wild Card Reference, I think. Not necessarily easy to set up, though; and I'm not entirely sure it would work. If you have GX7, you can't use Wild Card, because that capability has been removed from it (and presumably all future versions). For GX7, I guess you could set up a VLinkByQuery to a custom dBase table, which you would then manipulate with BR7, or a GoldBox View. Again, a rather messy solution. Thus, my "no" answer.

I'd really like it if you would contact Dave Petonic directly about this. I don't think he'll necessarily add something to GoldBox for this, but it's feedback he needs to hear.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:56 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
voncorp
GoldMine Apprentice

Sorry for the Omissions: GM 7.51.80827 and GX7-2009D.
Thanks for the answer. That is kind of what I figured that it would end up being more complicated than it was worth. Thanks though!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:21 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

I should have mentioned that if you'll click the TEXT box to the right of the query analyzer, and enter your literal value there, it will surround that value with single quotes when you enter it into the query. Using it and the calendar to enter literal values is a good habit to make.

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:46 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
voncorp
GoldMine Apprentice

Thanks for the tip Bob. I'll use it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:24 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Just heard from Dave. He suggested a way this can be done, through a GoldBox View, that would work, but which is beyond the scope of what I try to explain in this venue. So, it would be a consulting job, if you want to do it. Basically, it involves running the Notes Migrator through a View, but not in the way I had been considering.

www.goldboxbob.com

SQL Query Prompting for Input
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox