A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » Contacts import/update not updating Email address changes
Contacts import/update not updating Email address changes
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:01 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
Darren Lawrence
GoldMine Apprentice

I have an import that matches an external account number to update a record in goldmine.

My issue is that if there is an email address already against the record and it changes in the external source it does not update the primary email in goldmine.

However it will update other fields so I know it is matching correctly.

I also tried to do a second import/update for email only but it will only add the email not update the primary..

How should I go about creating an import/update process to correctly match and update the primary email address...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:14 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
GoldBoxGodfather
Experienced Miner

Primary E-mail addresses are tracked in GoldMine in such a highly complex manner that there is no direct way to change them on the fly in GoldBox. I think you'd have to match on the Email Address, mark a field for deletion (such as MERGECODES), delete them via a Global Delete of Detail records using that field in the Query, and then import them as new Primary Email addresses.

Dave Petonic
Redstone SoftBase Company
www.redstonesoftbase.com
redstone@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:22 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Darren Lawrence
GoldMine Apprentice

GoldBoxGodfather wrote:
Primary E-mail addresses are tracked in GoldMine in such a highly complex manner that there is no direct way to change them on the fly in GoldBox. I think you'd have to match on the Email Address, mark a field for deletion (such as MERGECODES), delete them via a Global Delete of Detail records using that field in the Query, and then import them as new Primary Email addresses.

Is there no other way?

The solution as a work around at the moment is , the customer is going to write a script, he will find the parent record and select the primary emails and delete them then run the import process..

The problem is this is supposed to be a automated import process and tracking the email address is important.

I am surprised this has not come up before!

It should be fairly simple to have an import process update the only primary email address when matching and updating the parent contact , or as an alternative, unmark the primary and import a new primary but leave the old address there (dangerouse but would be a possibily)

There is no way to know what the old email address was to remove it which is the whole problem.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 8:04 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
GoldBoxGodfather
Experienced Miner

Don't know which GoldBox you are on, will assume GoldBox-7. Current version is 2010-A.

See the Help panel: DIRECT E-MAIL ADDRESS MATCHING

Maybe that provides a solution? Don't know. E-mail address tracking in GoldMine is so weird that the more you talk about them, the more confusing they get. A horrible problem with e-mail address tracking is that it is stored across TWO fields. That makes a lot of direct, simple operations impossible.

Dave Petonic
Redstone SoftBase Company
www.redstonesoftbase.com
redstone@earthlink.net

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:08 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Quote:
It should be fairly simple to have an import process update the only primary email address when matching and updating the parent contact ,

GoldMine's use of relational records for E-mail Addresses makes it impossible to assume there is "only" a Primary E-mail Address. I guess you are saying that you want GoldBox to find the existing Primary E-mail Address; delete it; and then Import the Source file value as the new Primary E-mail Address. Is that correct? I think that's a lot for GoldBox to assume. Perhaps you could request it as an option...

Quote:
or as an alternative, unmark the primary and import a new primary but leave the old address there (dangerouse but would be a possibily)

Actually, I believe that's what GoldBox already does, in the E-mail Address Import/.Update.

Quote:
There is no way to know what the old email address was to remove it which is the whole problem.

Not really sure about this. I guess this question keeps coming up: are you trying to have one and only one E-mail Address for each Contact?

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 7:26 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Darren Lawrence
GoldMine Apprentice

The email match and update does not leave the old email and create a new one, i have tried it.

I know the GM Table structures very well and I am aware of the split of the email address over two fields, i also know that zip like "_1__" is a primary email for the record

I understand GoldBox would have to find the contsupp record to get its RECID so it can remove or update it

I would like if it just found the primary email when updating the contact and update that.. just treat the primary email as a field, I know there can be occations where GM has a problem and you might have more than 1 primary email on the parent or even none, in that situation its hard to decide the best option, if none i suppose make one, if more than 1 skip it and report it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:12 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

I think this is probably the best suggestion I can make. You should test it, of course...

1. Assuming that you may want to add new Contacts with your Main Contact Import/Update, run it as you normally would. It should add the E-mail Address for No Matches. For Matches, it won't matter, because you follow it up with...

2. Run the GoldBox E-mail Address Import/Update, with Add turned on and Bypass off. After running, GoldBox should have: a) added any Source Addresses that don't currently exist in GoldMine (re-setting other Addresses for those Contacts so that only the added Address would be Primary); and b) re-set matches to be Primary (clearing the Primary setting from other Addresses for the same Contacts).

www.goldboxbob.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:32 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
Darren Lawrence
GoldMine Apprentice

BobTaylor wrote:
I think this is probably the best suggestion I can make. You should test it, of course...

1. Assuming that you may want to add new Contacts with your Main Contact Import/Update, run it as you normally would. It should add the E-mail Address for No Matches. For Matches, it won't matter, because you follow it up with...

2. Run the GoldBox E-mail Address Import/Update, with Add turned on and Bypass off. After running, GoldBox should have: a) added any Source Addresses that don't currently exist in GoldMine (re-setting other Addresses for those Contacts so that only the added Address would be Primary); and b) re-set matches to be Primary (clearing the Primary setting from other Addresses for the same Contacts).

After implementing this (created a VLinkQuery to find the parent first.

The client is removing ALL email addresses and re-importing but I tested, The new email address was added BUT it set the new email as primary as expected but the old email address is also primary, this is an inconsistancy.

You really need an option to find the parent ACCOUNTNO and then use that to find the RECID of the primary email (where zip like '_1__' and replace the email address, that way you can update the primary email address everytime, adding another email address is not a good idea sometimes.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:30 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

I don't disagree; unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about it. You might want to contact Dave Petonic directly.

www.goldboxbob.com

Contacts import/update not updating Email address changes
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox