A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition) » Goldmine Premium 9.2.1.92 continually crashes
Goldmine Premium 9.2.1.92 continually crashes
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:07 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
cansel
GoldMine Apprentice

I have a major issue, which no one can give me an answer. We have goldmine latest build on 2008R2 server (all updates done) with SQL2008. We have 5 users where 4 of them crash continually. Server, switch, connections and workstations have all been redone Workstations are Windows 7 - 64 bit . Office 2010. The one person never crashes. So here's what has been done so far.
1. Tested network connections...all okay
2. Redid all PC's that were crashing, new Win7, and Office and all updates
3. Replace the switch
4. Cloned the ini of the user that wasn't crashing to other users...still crashes
5. Created a brand new user....still crashes
6. Uninstalled and reinstalled goldmine on server and workstations...still crashes
7. Removed the universal search and stop process on SQL....still crashes
8. Closed the email center, unchecked autoretrieve, sync contact and preview...crashes
9. Goldmine will be only application open and aftera few minutes idle it will crash
10. Log files are not helping as they don't show very much
11. Copied the user who wasn't crashing goldmine to each workstation...no change
I'm at a lost, customer is frustrated and thinking of changing programs. I have spent over 50 hours trying to find solution.
Any ideas, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you all...i'm really tried and frustratedwith this one.
Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

I don't see on your list that you Delete the Environment Table records for those UserIDs that have the constant crashing.

You don't say what they are doing when the crash occurs. One way that I know that I can crash GoldMine is by clicking on the GoldMine menu when GoldMine does not have the Desktop focus. That's a known issue with the ActiveX Control that FrontRange is using for their GoldMine Menus.

I do hope that some of this helps.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:06 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

I also recommended to him that he install SP1 or SP2 on his SQL Server.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:43 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
dexterb
GoldMine Journeyman

Have you noticed a pattern when it crashes? Do you get an exception error dialog when it crashes?

I have seen GoldMine crash before when the View is corrupted. Could it be that when logged in as those users that you are either on a contact set that uses record typing so when it switches views it crashes. If you have the demo database installed, try having those users open the demo database and see if they still crash.

If I were you, I would try to:
1) On one of those users workstations, install SQL server locally, and make sure it matches the version used on your production server and install GoldMine locally. Install all updates for GoldMine. Verify that any user you created will not crash GoldMine. If this crashes then the issue has nothing to do with network, your current sql server, the users on the server - something local.
2) Backup the production GoldMine database and restore it locally.
3) Have the local GoldMine only open the restored Contact set (not the GMBASE) or attach it only as a new contact set. Login the users and see if it still crashes. If it crashes, then someting in the contact set which came from the server is causing the issue. Its probably a data corruption issue (data as in configuration of some userdefs, or actual contact record data)
4) If it doesn't crash, set the local copy of GoldMine to use the GMBASE database from the database restored from the server. If this crashes then it is a data issue from gmbase and could be corrupted views configuration data or simply gmbase contact record data.
5) If that doesn't crash then
a) Its not the data in GoldMine.
b) using the same local install of GoldMine, copy the dbalias.ini and gm.ini which is on the server (the idea is to point this local install to the production SQL server dastabases using the same local exe that seems to work).
c) there is a network communication issue from clients to the server. For the user that does not crash, can that user login on the machines of the other users who has the problem and doesnt crash GoldMine? Does this user open the same contact set as the other users that crashes?
d) Check if the sql server properties that the Connections settings is set to maximum connections to 0 (0 = unlimited).

Im out of ideas but these might give some light to the issue

-
DexterB
www.dbxforgoldmine.com

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:20 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
cdohmen
Cuckoo for GoldMine Puffs

Just upgraded two systems over the weekend from v9.03 to v9.2.1.92 and I'm not experiencing any of these issues including DJ's ability to crash through non-focused GM menu selection.

We always totally uninstall the client side on every PC before applying the new release vs. overlaying the new release. Not sure if everyone follows that practice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:35 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

cdohmen - That makes two of us. I too normally uninstall workstations' minimum GM before upgrading.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:40 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

I have to say that I update Workstations, but it can't hurt to do a total uninstall & removal of the directory when doing an Upgrade.

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:05 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

if it's within the same major product version, I update.. if it's 8.0->9.2 or something, I clear out the workstation..

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Goldmine Premium 9.2.1.92 continually crashes
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition)