A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » Global Replace date based on date
Global Replace date based on date
PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:28 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
Deborah
Obsessive GoldMiner

Hi Bob,

I am trying to do a global replace of a field in the contsupp table. I am using Details Plus and the 2 fields I am working with are "date" fields in DP but still really a Character field in Contsupp, if that makes sense.

So I have a date in contsupp.address1. I want to replace contsupp.address2 with a date that is the 1st of the month, one year from address1. So if address1 is 6/5/06 (or 20060605) I want the address2 to be 6/1/07 (or 20070601). I have tried various options using the AddYears(1,field) and trying to convert CtoD and back to DtoC with no luck. I frankly don't have time to fuss with this anymore. Can you help with the formula?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:54 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

It would be easy, IF I knew exactly what is in Address1; that is, the format. If it's like 20060605, that's fine. Then the expression for Address2 would be

Code:
LTrim(Str(Val(Left(Contsupp->Address1, 4))+1)+Substr(Contsupp->Address1, 5, 2)+"01")

Of course, if it's some other format, it will be some other expression. Because I'm not familiar with what Details Plus does, you'll have to test that for yourself.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:04 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
Deborah
Obsessive GoldMiner

It worked beautifully!! I had to change contsupp to tgtsup but other than that it is exactly what I needed. I think I was getting caught up in the complexity of changing data type. It looks like DP doesn't change the underlying data type but only the data entry and display formatting. This was exactly what I needed. Thanks.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:30 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

I know there are some presentations that could make you think that Details Plus is actually changing the data type, but that's impossible. GoldBox Views also store dates as strings, and give you calendars to select the dates. It's just a kind of trick, really.

If you try to run a SQL query against the Contsupp table, you'll quickly find that they are still character fields. However, using string dates does make it possible to compare one date to another, to find which is larger. But actually subtracting one string date from another...now that's a bit of a chore.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

Global Replace date based on date
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox