A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition) » Maintenance of GM
Maintenance of GM
PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:49 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
NeilT
GoldMine Journeyman

I have recently upgraded from GM 6.7 to GMPE 2013.1.0.298. The daily use of Goldmine is fine but I must admit that I am still learning about the admin side of running GM.

Historically I used to regularly index and pack and rebuild the old database but my GM partner says that other than backing up the database there is no maintenance needed on the new version of GM.

My other experience with databases is with Microsoft Access where we periodically compact and repair and occasionally decompile the database.

I would appreciate the views of the forum as to whether GM is self maintaining and I really do not need to do anything other than a back up.

I think GM is based on Microsoft Server SQL 2008

Thanks as always for any views.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:40 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
bgannett
GoldMine Guru

That GM does not need the same maintenance that the old 6.7 needed. It could survive a long time without any maintenance. I would, however recommend the following. I am also assuming that your GM is on a full version of SQL Server as opposed to being on a SQL Express.

1. Daily Backups of the SQL database and keep approximately the last 5 daily backups. If your SQL Server is the full version, SQL can automatically perform the daily backups. If it is SQL Express, there is a very good free backup program that can be used.

2. I would purge GM’s logs monthly.

3. If a problem or error message shows up (and very seldom does), GM could index or perform a required rebuild (this is seldom needed).

4. If yours is a full version of SQL Server, I would use the SQL Server Management Studio to automatically backup the database and perform weekly maintenance with the options is offers.

*** Providing AFFORDABLE GoldMine Supportsince 1990

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:34 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DJ
GoldMine Guru

Even if you have the Express version of SQL Server running there is an app that lets you do scheduled backups.

http://sqlbackupandftp.com/

Phone: (978)342-3333
Email: DJ@DJHunt.US

GoldMine Premium - The Defintive Guide
One-on-One GoldMine Technical Support ( Fee Based )
www.DJHunt.US
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:12 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
cdohmen
Cuckoo for GoldMine Puffs

Depending on the number of records and the amount of activity I would suggest an automatic daily maintenance. If your activity levels & record counts are low then a weekly routine would suffice.

MS SQL is very stable and reliable.

Maintenance of GM
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 8 - 2019 (Premium Edition)