A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6 » Broken link for Word and GM 6.7
Broken link for Word and GM 6.7
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:10 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
jjflash
n00b

Hi,

Doug just emailed me about this blog--apparently FrontRange turned over a long-unhandled complaint I had with them on this issue.

I'm just posting here in case anyone can shed some light on a fix or workaround.

Problem: somewhere during the upgrade to XP SP2 and/or GM 6.7.50123 the links between GM and Word were broken. There was new file posted on FrontRange's site that leads one to believe that its purpose was to handle whatever the problem is: GMLinkInstaller-6.7.194. This has never worked either of the two systems I am responsible for.

I called FrontRange on this and was given just NO HELP at all and I've been dealing with not having these links functional for close to a year now!

Am I just at the mercy of FrontRange, or has there been a fix or workaround that others have come up with??

TIA for any pointers.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:46 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

Could you describe the exact nature of the problem(s)?

Always remember that you COULD simply use the version 6.5 of the word link with your 6.7 GoldMine and not have to deal with some of the known issues with the 6.7 link(s)..

Of course, that means you have to deal with the bugs in the 6.5 version..

so I guess it's a case of 'the devil you know vs. the devil you don't know'...

GoldMine Sales and Support:
http://www.castellcomputers.com/
office: (310)601-4738
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:41 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
jjflash
n00b

Hi Doug,

I've been meaning to reply to your request for more details but it's been on the back burner for awhile.

I just now tried again, using the older version of the GM Link Installer program. I may have tried this just too many times now as the results I'm getting are exactly the same for whichever version I install:

The older version (for 6.5) goes through an installation routine and then says MS Word will start in order to finish the installation. MS Word starts, and just opens with a blank page--no requests for user input at all. A dialog pops up and says that the link for Excel is also being installed. Installation says it is finished.

When trying to merge a template, I get the "438" object not supported dialog.

When this first happened, I went to Frontrange's site and got the "194" (latest) version of the link and that did not fix it. Since then I've tried over and over with the various versions and now I get the results described above. A faulty, incomplete install (assuming that at some point there still is some user-input that is supposed to be requested) and then the error.

Any clues?

TIA.

Stephen Porter
LA, CA, USA

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:39 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

turn macro security down to LOW in word and attempt to install the link again.

If it continues to not show up, look under help|About to see if there is anything under disabled items referring to the GoldMine link.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number

Broken link no longer
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:10 pm Points: 0 Reply with quote
jjflash
n00b

Doug,

Thanks very much! I kind of feel like an idiot, but that did the trick. I'm almost sure that I did these steps during my previous attempts without success, but maybe not.

Anyway, it's working on my home machine now and it's a great relief to have my templates functioning again. I'll try checking this out at work and hope that it will do the trick there also.

Again, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:14 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
DougCastell
GoldMine Guru

No problem! Glad it helped!

Broken link for Word and GM 6.7
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldMine 6