A GoldMine Discussion and Support Community

ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox » Data type mismatch on import for zip Goto page Previous  1, 2
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:28 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
nc_miami
Experienced Miner

Thank you Dave and Bob.

I wanted to let everyone know that I fixed the latest import data type mismatch error. Here is what worked:

Originally, I had the following match:

Quote:

INDEXED MATCH: DIRECT_SCH
CUSTOM MATCH: SmoothComp(Contact1->Company) + SmoothName(Contact1->Contact)
DIR SRCH FILTR: SmoothComp(Contact1->Company) + SmoothName(Contact1->Contact)

I changed it to:

Quote:
INDEXED MATCH:
CUSTOM MATCH: SmoothComp(Contact1->Company) + SmoothName(Contact1->Contact)
DIR SRCH FILTR: SmoothComp(Contact1->Company) + SmoothName(Contact1->Contact)

Meaning, I had selected "Index Match" -> "Direct Search" then keyed in SmoothComp(Contact1->Company) + SmoothName(Contact1->Contact)

When I removed the Direct Search Index match and simply entered SmoothComp(Contact1->Company) + SmoothName(Contact1->Contact) into the "Custom Match" the import ran succssfully.

Any feedback on this? I would like to understand the logic behind this for the future.

Thanks again to Bob, who is always, always, always super helpful (and patient!)

N

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:08 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Sorry I didn't catch this. My only defense is that I have developed the habit of reading that which is to the right of the colon, when it comes to LifeRings. Still, should have caught it.

For the benefit of others, here is the Help file info on the Direct Search matching option:

[DIRECT SEARCH FILTER Match] [MAIN CONTACT update only] This provides you with the flexibility of the dBase language in finding a Main Contact match.

· Requirements: At the Field Mapping Template, you have to map the Match Source field(s) used in the Search Filter to the GoldMine field(s). Typically you should SHIELD the GoldMine field(s) from being updated. Basic knowledge of the dBase language. It's actually rather simple, as in: Contact1->Phone1 = GXI->Phone1 .OR. Contact1->Phone2 = GXI->Phone1 .OR. Contact1->Phone3 = GXI->Phone1. Assumes: You mapped the Source Phone field to PHONE1 at the Mapping Template. You wish to find a match in Main Contacts if that mapped field is found in GoldMine's Phone1, Phone2 or Phone3 fields.

· Advantages: Uses the flexibility and diversity of the dBase language for finding a match. No 100-character result limit. No building of a Custom Match Table. Allows the usage of OR connector in your Filter (such as searching Phone1, Phone2 and Phone3 for a 'hit'). Because the Search Filter for finding a match is invoked during the Update Phase, dupes in your Source table will NOT be added into GoldMine.
· Disadvantage: Slower than a Direct Index match, tied to the complexity of your Search Filter - but overall may be faster if you can design your matching scenario in a single Import Setup than multiple Import Setups.

There should be one additional Disadvantage listed in the article: cannot use the Smooth Functions with Direct Search; they are restricted to Custom Match. So it could not have worked. Because I like the Smooth functions so much, I almost never use Direct Search matching. It's comparable to Direct SQL Query Matching in the SQL versions of GoldBox, which I also rarely use, for the same reason.

Not sure why it errors with the Data Type Mismatch message; didn't know about it, again because I haven't been using it.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:37 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
nc_miami
Experienced Miner

Hi Bob,

Can the Direct Search be used if you are updating and adding no matches, or only for updates?

Thanks,
Naomi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:00 am Points: 0 Reply with quote
BobTaylor
GoldBox Guru

Sure. The matching method isn't affected by whether new records will be added or not.

www.goldboxbob.com
Consulting with GoldBox and GoldMine since 1997.

Data type mismatch on import for zip
  ContactReview Forum Index » GoldBox